BT / Supply of goods and services.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I signed up for BT's TV and broadband package

however when it arrived nothing worked.

The tv did not work at all and the broadband was intermittent.

I attempted to have both fixed

after several hours on the phone to their contact centre I was told I would need to install a new aerial

to the outside of my home at my own expense.

I was quoted £250 by a company sent by BT.

I decided to cancel after 6 days

BT informed me I would need to pay £477 as held to term charges.

I was outraged and they continue to bill me for this.

I never received a service at all.

Can anyone tell me if I have a case under the above legislation?

Hi Boyle77

Here is a Distance Selling Guide for Businesses, that is applicable in your case:-

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

Unfortunately BT pretty much do what they like, until you catch them out,

they have a ridiculous number of departments. The company is a shambles.

Thanks for the links. I have taken the complaint to the Ombusman and quoted the DSR however they have said that because my account was activated the day I signed up I missed the 7 day turnaround. I received the package on 12th February and call them the following day to complain. I then cancelled the contract 6 days after I received the package......pretty confusing.

You would have known that it was freeview and that means the quality of reception is up to you and not BT.

You can certainly get an aerial fitted for a lot lot less than that.

I fitted one in my loft and no problem, cost me £34.

Is the broadband adsl or infinity ?

Having just moved into a new home I was not aware that I would need a new aerial to receive freeview. When I bought the package on their website there was no reference to the fact I might need an aerial.

Hi Boyle77

So you called BT the day after activation to complain about the quality of services. You could send BT a SAR request, they will send you all the data on your account. All the phone logs and notes made by customer services on your account.

BT have 40 days to respond, it costs £10. Send the SAR Recorded Delivery. By the time the Ombudsman service contact you, you will have further information for them. I think you've got a good case. The Ombudsman service isn't great, you just need to be pro-active.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?552-Data-Protection

Thanks for the links. I have taken the complaint to the Ombusman and quoted the DSR however they have said that because my account was activated the day I signed up I missed the 7 day turnaround. I received the package on 12th February and call them the following day to complain. I then cancelled the contract 6 days after I received the package......pretty confusing.

Rebel11,

Thanks I will look into this. The ombudsman have made their decision and I have to pay £477 for a service that wasn't provided and one I had less than a week! Apparently because BT enter you into the contract as soon as you agree the order I have missed the DSR. Not impressed with the Ombudsman. The SAR and supply of goods and services is the line I will take.

Hi Boyle77

Unfortunately the Ombudsman and decisions is a lottery, you really need to pinpoint them to the key points in your case.

The Ombudsman goes by the traders T & C's, just because there are T & C's doesn't make them fair.

Rebel11,

Thanks I will look into this. The ombudsman have made their decision and I have to pay £477 for a service that wasn't provided and one I had less than a week! Apparently because BT enter you into the contract as soon as you agree the order I have missed the DSR. Not impressed with the Ombudsman. The SAR and supply of goods and services is the line I will take.

Im not going down without a fight, their T&C's can go jump.........

As you say they think they can do what they want. I think ive a decent case under Supply of Goods etc...

Keep trying and good luck. We just changed to BT and frankly the freeview tv is crap, not half the channels we were used to.

I can't wait for the contract to end and get back to Virgin.