Stepchange and Barclays Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3743 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I set up a dmp with Stepchange recently for a debt i have with Barclays which is around £3000.

Stepchange sent me a text message as well as emails and paperwork confirming the dmt plan is set up and the first payment is due next week.

However on Saturday 27th Feb Barclays sent me a letter in the post saying We regret that we have not been contacted by this agency (Stepchange) to confirm they are dealing with your finances and we cannot hold collections action against this accout any longer.

Today i contacted Stepchange to ask them about the letter Barclays sent and Stepchange say that as far as they are concerned the dmp is set up and the first payment is due the beginning of next week.

Barclays have also today sent me another letter asking me to return my Debit Card and Chequebook with them or they will send someone round to collect them.

Where do i go from here?

Edited by Dazza1983

Have you checked with Stepchange that the account and bank numbers are correct ?

It could simply be that it is different departments within B/shark and they arent communicating.

They cannot simply send someone round - destroy both of these items yourself - if possible, shred them and return the shreddings !

Ask Stepchange to WRITE or email you that the accounts have been set up and then copy to B/shark.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CitizenB

I will check with Stepchange and check that the account and bank numbers are correct and get them to confirm it in writing and then send it to Barclays Collections Department.

Im thinking like you CitizenB that its different departments within B/shark and they arent communicating.

Stepchange must have spoken to Sharklays when they were setting up the dmp otherwise the dmp wouldnt have been set up would it?

Im thinking like you CitizenB that its different departments within B/shark and they arent communicating.

Stepchange must have spoken to Sharklays when they were setting up the dmp otherwise the dmp wouldnt have been set up would it?

That would be my understanding. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well i spoke to stepchange and they said the dmp is all set up and that my first payment to them is on the 10th and then they send it on to Barclays.

However Barclays have sent me another letter saying the account is now frozen and that the next letter they send will be a termination notice which is a legal notice demanding full payment of the outstanding balance.Im now worried sick that i will have baliffs knocking on my door shortley demanding payment.Can someone put my mind at ease.

You will NOT have bailiffs knocking on your door.

IMHO, you need to write to Barclay's Head/Registered office. Head your letter formal complaint.

Tell them that you are very concerned at the "Unfair" way they are treating you.

On DATE a DMP was implemented through StepChange - StepChange have advised Barclays that this has happened - you have advised that this has happened, so their constant threatening letters is, a breach of OFT Debt collection Guidance.

you are confirming, YET again that a DMP has been put in place that B/shark will be receiving their first payment on the 10th of the month and thereafter.

Should they continue to harass you, you will have no alternative but to make a complaint to the OFT, FOS and FCA.

BCOBS

Bailiffs cannot act until there has been a court judgement even then you must have failed to comply with said judgement then the creditor can apply for a warrant to handed to bailiffs to act upon it.

You are far from this stage.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you for the advice citizenB.I felt silly asking about baliffs but obviously when you get letters demanding payment then you worry.I will send Barclays a letter with all of the above.I have the address for their collections department.Should i send it there or send it to as you say their head office?

Thanks BRIGADIER2JCS for also puting my mind at ease.As i say i felt silly about asking about baliffs but having never been in debt until recently i was not sure.

Never worry about asking question about anything you are not sure of!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Grit your teeth and hang on in there, its all part of how Barclays try to grind you down and shake more money out of you. I can personally assure you that the courts are completely aware of charities like stepchange and payplan and consider them to be a very appropriate place for debtors to obtain help. Stepchange use the same guidelines as the courts do when determining payment amounts and balancing them with sensible living expenses. Barclays have also signed up 'to support Stepchange' in fact they contribute to the running costs. They also have access to the information they need on your DMP via access to the creditors portion of the Stepchange website. Frankly they are just playing silly beggars. It took nearly a year for my DMP with the CCCS (as Stepchange was known then) to bed down. I had vivid horrors of standing in the dock defending myself on fraud charges and all other manner of horrors. I had plenty of 'stiff letters' , but no bailiffs ever set foot on my property and curiously despite owing £93k, I never even got a CCJ. All paid up now and debt free with no credit at all - strangely I have a high credit score and lots of offers of of credit cards at 'preferential rates' - ha ha ah don't need it now and am strictly cash all the way these days! You'll be there too soon.