Student Loan Company

StephieSut
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is not in the right place.

Im after some advice on how to deal with student loans, if anyone can help.

I graduated in 1999. My loan agreement was the type that you only had to make payments if you were earning over a certain amount, which I never have.

I was able to defer for the first few years without too much trouble. Then I had to claim welfare and the benefits office said they had to send the forms directly themselves, so I left it with them. I also moved house at this time, and gave SLC my new address. Thats when the trouble started. This was back in 2007. SLC claim not to have received the forms to defer, but failed to notify me of this for a whole year. They never asked for payments in this time, just suddenly 12 momths later sent me a demand for arrears plus interest for the past 12 months. They refused to send more deferment papers, insisting I pay up. I offered to send proof I do not earn enough to be liable for it, they refuse this. They even sent a man around my house who listened to me, agreed i owe them nothing, and said he would write a report saying that. For the last 5 and a half years I have recieved constant letters and phonecalls demanding payment. I have asked them to stop, and just take me to court and we can let a judge decide. I even changed my phone numbers but they track the new ones down and carry on. I am a full time carer for my severely ill husband, but they continue to ring the house, even late into the evening, demanding payment. I insist I owe them nothing, they insist I owe them thousands. They refuse to take me to court.

Any advice on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.

What can I do about this? Its driving me insane.

I have the same problem with them from when I moved home back in 2003, I've just sent them a SAR to reclaim all of the charges as they are illegal at £20 & £30 per letter or phone call. I've read loads of people who get their charges back the day before court. The SAR is £10 and the court papers are £40 I think. Subject Access Request SAR template available on line.