Illegal U-turn - but where should the signs be?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a PCN for a U-turn I did caught on camera.

There is a 'no U-turn' sign at the crossroads on a post adjacent to the traffic light on the opposite central reservation, but that implies that you should not U turn at the crossroads, NOT that the 'no U-turn' instruction applies to the road after the junction. I've pasted below my letter of appeal; anyone got any other ideas I could use in defence?

Regards, Michael

To the Parking Services Manager

I challenge my liability for this penalty charge on the following grounds.

I have revisited Southampton Row and examined the traffic signage prohibiting ‘U’ turns. You will note that the only sign covering this particular section of the street is mounted adjacent to the traffic light on the central reservation of the North part of the intersection of Southampton Row and Theobald’s Road at a point where the street becomes a dual carriageway for a short stretch both north and south of the junction itself.

In view of where the sign is mounted it is reasonable for vehicular users to assume the sign prohibits ‘U’ turns at that particular junction, i.e. using the junction to go the other way along Southampton Row. In addition the sign is not lit and is in an area where there are several illuminated traffic signs as well as other distracting light sources along what is a busy street.

The only further indication that the stretch of road north of the junction prohibits ‘U’ turns is the ‘end of restriction’ sign at the junction with Russell Square.

I regard the signage as being both misleading and inadequate. This being the case I believe that my penalty charge is invalid and I look forward to hearing from you that it has been cancelled.

Yours faithfully

'When are we going on holiday, Daddy?'

think letters ok, keep on the track of the sign wasnt visible

imo

-----------------------------------------------

Mortgage Express charges- settled in full after issuing claim

------------------------------------------------

To view the FAQ'S click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

To view the PRELIM letter click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

To view the Letter Before Action click here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/92-3-letter-before-action.html

To find Registered Address:

http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/search.asp

If my advise helps click here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/reputation.php?p=366404

Nice Rob S...blame some one else...showing your true colours here...lefties?

I am sure that this does not refer to left-handed people, but to the political left wing of which Commissar Ken is a member and their espoused anti-car rantings and practices.

Was there street lighting? And was it lit?

The TSRGD requires that signs of type 614 (No U turn by vehicular traffic) shall be illuminated internally or externally if positioned within 50 metres of a lampost which forms part of a lighting system with lamposts no more than 185m apart (this distance is what makes the road restricted and subject to a 30 mph limit unless otherwise signed). The sign must be lit for so long as the lamp system is lit or throughout the hours of darkness.

If the sign is fixed to light signals prescribed by TSRGD regulation 33 (ie. traffic lights), then it must be internally illuminated unless the traffic lights are being maintained or repaired.

If it does not conform to the TSRGD, then it is invalid and cannot be used as a basis for any prosecution.

• Confused 1

It would also be worth asking to see the Traffic Regulation Order that applies to the location where they are alleging you have carried out the illegal u-turn.

Given that Taliban for London are now able to issue these notices willy nilly (and it is the registered keeper of the vehicle who is liable, regardless of whether or not they were driving the vehicle) its time that motorists stood up and challenged them every step of the way.

• Confused 1

I am surprised that a camera would be even covering that area. I know where you

mean, and several years ago I saw many vehicles performing the same action

as you [usually to then drive down Theobalds road as there is also a no right turn

sign in operation there too].

Unless there has been new signage since those times, I cannot see how they can

justify penalising you.

Thank you for your useful comments. I shall revisit the scene over the weekend and get some photos at night, and will ask for the Traffic Order covering that street.

You're right that people u-turn further up to try and circumvent the 'no right turn' at the lights, but what I did was actually drop someone off at the side of the road and then turned round. I wonder what the legal definition of a u-turn is? - e.g. is it one continuous transition from travelling from one direction to the opposite direction, or does turning around from being parked count as a u-turn?

Thanks again for the tips - what a great site this is!

• 1 month later...

Pleased to say I received a 'no further action' letter 23/11/06 as a result of my preliminary letter.

Quote: 'I am writing to inform you that signs at this location have undergone a change due to poor lighting at night time and as a result this penalty notice has been cancelled'

Regards, Michael