Holiday Entitlement on leaving a job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I will shortly be leaving a job that I have resigned from. I was just reading through the contract and noticed the following clause:

"On termination of your employment you shall be entitled to be paid in lieu of accrued but untaken holiday save that, where such termination is pursuant to clause 10.1 or follows your resignation in breach of clause 10.3, such accrued but untaken holiday shall be based on your minimum holiday entitlement under the Working Time Regulations 1998 only and not on your entitlement under clauses 11.2 – 11.9. For these purposes any paid holiday that you have taken (including any paid holiday on public holidays) shall be deemed first to be statutory paid holiday. The amount of the payment in lieu shall be calculated on the basis that each day of paid holiday is equal to 1/260 of your salary."

[note:clause 10.1 and 10.2 relate to being sacked or insufficient notice. clause 11.2 to 11.9 relate to the contractual number of holiday days]

I would like to know firstly if this clause is legal as it reads to me that I will be getting a payment that is less than my accrued holiday entitlement minus days taken?

Secondly if this is legal what can I expect to get in terms of number of holiday days payment?

My contractual holiday entitlement is 25 days + statutory bank holidays.

I have taken 15 days holiday from my entitlement + 6 days bank holidays up to now. The holiday year runs from Jan 1st.

Thanks in advance

Yes, it's legal. Employers can make any rules they like about additional contractual holidays.

How many days untaken holiday you get paid for when you leave depends on...

Whether you will be working right up to the end of the year.

If you have any bank holidays off in this period.

If you work 5 days a week the statutory minimum entitlement is 28 days.

It's an interesting legal point. I can see challenges but on balance it is probably enforceable. There is no automatic right to be paid for accrued but not taken holiday.

I have my doubts about whether the provision stating that 'For these purposes any paid holiday that you have taken (including any paid holiday on public holidays) shall be deemed first to be statutory paid holiday' is enforceable. Refer to http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1833/regulation/17/made

The minimum right is to 5.6 weeks' paid holiday a year (including bank holidays)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS