housing benefit and council tax poss overpayment

gengisxxx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

right where do i start i have 6 children 4 under 18 and 2 over 1 on jsa and 1 in ft work on oct 20 th ish i was informed my hb had been stopped when i rang up they said it was because of a mistake that i hadnt informed them of my daughter being in ft work so i took in all info requested and signed change of circumstance form and the woman said they would investigate now my daughter who works only stays here 1 night a week since she started work . and my hubby is registered disabled and is on dla and ib esa will this make any difference and also i did inform them 2 years ago as hubby went in prison and i had to make a statement then to council tax and hb about who was in home at time i am worried sick if they make me pay it back as am obs on low income anyway please can anyone help

Do you work?

I am assuming not and that your dh is claiming ESA couple rate for you both? Do the LA know this and that he is living in your property now that he is out of prison ie did you inform the council of the change of circs when he was released and returned home?

I am protected from any non dependant deductions from my hb due to the fact that I receive DLA, so your dh's dla is an important thing to inform your LA of, but you need to go in and tell them who is living in your property and details of all benefits you and your dh receive as well as any other income or savings you have.

Just be honest, by the sounds of it, it will all be sorted out fine unless there is more to your situation than you are saying.

no she isnt registered for council tax he lives with his parents and they dont ask for money for bills etc am i buggered or is there hope i genuinely didnt know i had to claim she was working as hubby was on dla and esa

Seems that her main residence is with you then, despite her hardly sleeping there. At the end of the day, she is responsible for either living with you and paying her way and that means paying what any deductions are from your hb etc. or she can choose to move out and be independent. I had the exact same choice with my adult children before I was awarded DLA and they became exempt. Before that I had to give them the hard choice to pay the shortfall themselves or leave.

there may be an overpayment. they will need your dd's payslips for however long because the deductions are worked out on her level of income. once the overpayment is agreed they should reinstate the benefits and deduct the set amount they expect your dd to contribute and then hopefully you can agree the level of weekly deduction to pay off the overpayment. Your dd will have to pay what the council expect her to pay towards living there herself so your only conern is to agree a weekly amount to pay back the overpayment, they will leave you enough to live on though. Try not to worry, though I know it is hard.