British Gas have read my meter wrong **WON + COMPO**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Earlier this year I changed gas provider, I switched from British Gas to Npower.

British gas arranged for my meter to be read on the day I changed provider.

A few days later I received a huge £300 final Bill (I barely use £30 a month).

After comparing the meter reading on the bill and that of my meter, they are completley different.

I called British Gas and they refused to discuss the matter as a meter reading had been taken by a qualified meter reader.

They just kept trying to get me to set up a payment plan. I called Npower who wouldn't help either.

I wrote to british gas explaining everything and got the same response as the telephone call.

I then started getting letters and calls from Moorcroft, we have exchanged a few letters with no joy.

My final letter to moorcroft included photos of my meter clearly showing the reading,

to this day my meter hasn't made it up to the reading British Gas applied to my account.

I also requested £50 compensation for my time, costs and stress involved in trying to prove they are wrong.

I recived a letter appologising and stating they were handing back the account to their client.

Now today the letters have started coming from Collect Direct (UK)

I really want to sort this out but none of this is my fault,

I have supplied British gas with the meter reading I supplied to Npower

and from which Npower have been billing me from.

I told british gas to supply a new invoice upto that reading and I will pay it but they will not reply to my letters.

Is there any advice on my options?

ignore the dca's but check that your credit file ha not been trashed.

time to get in touch with either the BG CEO

or

the energy watchdog me thinks.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Has your meter now passed the number on the bill?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It would be good to get a reply from british gas, maybe their ceo might get things moving. Any idea of his details?

I did look at the watchdog but they don't seem to be open to individual complaints or don't explain the process.

No, still not quite there yet.

Can you take a date stamped photo and send it to prove they've got it wrong?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yeah tomorrow I will put a letter and evidance together for their ceo.

Hello - have you had any luck with this? I am switching from British gas to Ovo and they have also given me an estimated bill with the wrong meter reading. No where near as bad as yours but they really do seem to be resistant to correcting their mistake

Npower did have the wrong meter reading to start with but after a quick phone call it was changed. They were very helpful.

I always thought it was the new suppliers responsibility to take an opening read and pass this to the old supplier to finalise their billing... Is the incorrect read also the opening read on your first Npower bill?

To update everyone.

I emailed the CEO of British gas with a brief outline of my complaint with some photos that I took each month. I used an email address which I haven't used for years and within 6 hours of me hitting send I had debt collectors hounding me by email as well as phone and post.

About a week later I received my Revised "Final Bill" from british gas of £40. A day later I received a phone call from british gas about my request for £60 compensation, they would deduct it from my final bill and are sending me a cheque for £20 which I received this morning.

Happy days at the end but I still should not have been put through this, massive financial penalties are the only way forward.

well done!!

thread title amended

dx

The Consumer Action Group needs help to cover its expenses.

You could help by making a money contribution to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not to mention that you only actually got £20.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D