Refuse collection at unoccupied property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really can't believe I'm having to ask this but here goes.

An elderly relative has decided to move from their house which has become too much for them into sheltered accommodation and tasked me with clearing the house and putting it on the market. I'm obviously filling the bin and the council are refusing to empty because the house is unoccupied. Said relative is now paying council tax for both properties and more for the house than when they lived in it because the single occupancy discount has been transferred to the new flat. Can they really refuse to empty the bins? I'd understand it if they chose to allow some temporary relief in such circumstances but this council doesn't.

On what grounds are they refusing? Would they refuse if the property were unoccupied because e.g. it was being renovated or the occupant was in hospital?

Since the council tax is still being paid, I see no grounds whatsoever for them to do this. Try speaking to the local councillor and asking them to intervene.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Oh and if the property was unoccupied and even unfurnished the landlord would still have to pay for council tax regardless (due to the changes this year many councils have scrapped 100% empty unfurnished discount).

I had someone tell me that since my property is a business it is therefore considered as "commerical waste" and therefore I cannot use the bins - what kind of a joke is that? What is the point of council tax then?

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

(due to the changes this year many councils have scrapped 100% empty

unfurnished discount).

This is the case here. They've removed all relief on an empty property but haven't changed the internal process which suspends services such as bin collections. Until now I hadn't even realised the bin men had a list to work from, I thought they just emptied the bins if you put them out.