Dvla - sorn

hugradar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3867 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I received a letter from Rossendales Professional Debt Collectors, saying i did not declare by car SORN and that i am liable for an £80 Fine.

I was on Holiday at the time the car tax expired, so could not notify them that the vehicle was not being used and was in a garage.

I want to dispute the penalty as firstly he was not in the country to inform them, and Road tax was taken out as soon as I got back

just to add the letter wording:

We have been instructed by the DVLA to collect a ate license penalty

The DLVA inform us that you are the registered keeper of the above vehicle and that you have failed, without lawful excuse, to adhere to the legal requirements to license the vehicle (road tax) or make SORN since the expiry of the last vehicle.

You are now required to:

• Pay the £80 penalty in full immediatley which will settle the office

• Re license the vehicle immediatley

• Contact Rossendales LTD directly by phone, make the payment ....

Failure to respond to this notice in 7 days will result in escalation of compliance activities. Non-payment of the penalty is a civil offence and may be pursued in the civil court under section 7a of vehicle excise and regulations Act 1994

Can anyone help urgently please?

Hi

I was on Holiday at the time the car tax expired, so could not notify them that the vehicle was not being used and was in a garage.

There are ways of taking out a licence/making a SORN declaration in advance. Unfortunately, as the licence was not taken out/SORN declared, on or before the expiry of the existing licence/SORN, although it may have been backdated, you appear to be liable for the penalty.

I want to dispute the penalty as firstly he was not in the country to inform them, and Road tax was taken out as soon as I got back

Are you certain you didn't post off the SORN documentation whilst on that sunny Spanish island ?

Are you certain you didn't post off the SORN documentation whilst on that sunny Spanish island ?

I'm sure that it would have been mentioned if that had been the case, but it clearly says it wasn't sent and I'm sure you wouldn't suggest the OP should lie.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'm sure that it would have been mentioned if that had been the case, but it clearly says it wasn't sent and I'm sure you wouldn't suggest the OP should lie.

Not at all. The o/p stated that

'I was on Holiday at the time the car tax expired, so could not notify them that the vehicle was not being used'

which I assume means the o/p was unable to log on to the DVLA portal, as I've had the same issue when on a business trip to the UAE.

Sorry to say this but it matters not where you were at the time the tax expired. You are liable in this case as it seems you coudl have bought the licence prior to it expiring or got it SORN'ed before going on holiday.

Not at all. The o/p stated that

'I was on Holiday at the time the car tax expired, so could not notify them that the vehicle was not being used'

which I assume means the o/p was unable to log on to the DVLA portal, as I've had the same issue when on a business trip to the UAE.

A SORN declaration doesn't have to be made on-line, it can be by phone or post - even when on holiday or the UAE.

I have not had such problems.

If there be doubt or you don't wish your whereabouts to be known, use http://www.expatshield.com/ that assigns a UK IP address wherever you are.

That gives you full access as if you were in UK.

Also good for watching UK TV 'Rights Restricted' sporting events too :)