Dubai Debt/Can I Return?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

>Hello all,I lived in Dubai in 2007 and due to the eonomic downturn we had to return to the UK after a year. My husband left his credit card debt unpaid...He has now been approached for a job which would involve travel to EMEA so possibly would be reqiured to travel to the UAE. We are really worried that he may be stopped at immigration and goodness knows what would happed. I have read that the UAE have dropped alerts against debt skippers. But still we are worried.

Debt is a crime in UAE. If you left a debt and it was recorded, you can indeed be arrested for it on return. You may not get flagged at immigration, but if you apply for a bank account or any form of credit, chances are they will be able to track you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Debt is a crime in UAE. If you left a debt and it was recorded, you can indeed be arrested for it on return. You may not get flagged at immigration, but if you apply for a bank account or any form of credit, chances are they will be able to track you.

He would not be applying for credit, only visiting on business. He has a new passport with a new number which does not have his UAE visa on it. I have recenlty read that alerts have been dropped....

In that case, he's taking a big chance, as like i said, debt is a criminal offence over there. He needs to think hard about whether he wants to take the risk.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Agree with the above having worked out there too. Also other places in UAE he is likely to get nicked. Only optuion is to pay it off, but that is hard work in itself and I am surprised they haven't chased you already even back in the UK