• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I should do it by the book and do a new prelim. YB are bad enough at paying up, so it is as well not to give them any excuse to try and wriggle out of it. Good luck.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There aren't any at the moment. You need to amend the original to suit your particular claim. Make it quite clear that you are claiming compound contractual interest.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 weeks later...

They have done counterclaims against a lucky few, including me, but I don't think I've seen one lately. Definitely send the cheque back with this mob, as they will find any little excuse to wriggle out of paying the balance.

Apart from taking out respectfully, the letter looks fine to me.

The defence says we deny the charges are unreasonable, we deny the t's and c's are unfair, we deny anything you claim. The counterclaim says if you win we want to claim our money back in full for costs, or damages or any other reason we can think of and we want section 69 interest.

I really can't get my head round the interest because that is to compensate for not having the money in the first place. But they have had it all this time. Pure twaddle!

Twaddle indeed!??! :rolleyes:

I was reading your thread earlier actually & it does seem like ur getting the runaround a bit - do your think they just pick on a few claims to 'play with' for amusement?! Hang in there - I'm sure u'll win - let's face it u have plenty of folk on your side with loadsa tips n knowhow etc ;)

Thanks chezt. My day will come.;):D

Basically they are saying that it really cost them the money I am claiming for the charges due to breaches. If that is the case let them prove it. And if it really cost them that much for the breaches, I won't win anyway.

Balderdash and Poppycock. They've picked on the wrong person. TBH I would be surprised if they counterclaim yours chezt but we will help if they do, so don't worry about it.

ROFLMAO. I'm so glad they have never sent me a cheque. I think I would struggle too.:p

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Sorry that just makes me laugh. I will try to behave.:rolleyes:

OK I won't. Anyway I've got a tinnie now so the weekend starts here. Cheers.;)

Better go and post a few litigation threads now before anyone catches me skiving. See ya.

• 2 months later...
Letter from YB Visa today ... basically thanking me for letter of 17th November (err I sent a reminder letter on 4th Jan & no reference to this!?!) & apologising for delay in responding (Basically they ignored it!) Letter dated 5th Jan so this willl be the day they received my last letter.

They've responded to an old letter of mine on the day they would have received a new letter, and ignored the new one. Odd that.

As for costs, unless your claim is not going to be in the small claims track you can't claim them I'm afraid. I'm not really up on the contractual and compound interest POC so I'll let others advise on that. I'm struggling to get statutory interest from YB myself and when I put my claim in this wasn't an option. I believe George McMenamin successfully claimed it from Clydesdale in Scotland though. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/scotland/19737-george-mcm-clydesdale-bank.html

• 5 weeks later...

If you insist on going down this route chezt, at least make sure that it stays under the 5k limit. Because you are claiming compound interest it is 5k including interest and not 5k plus interest as it would be with statutory interest. This is to avoid the danger of incurring costs, although there is still some risk of this. I have read today that YB are taking someone to court for costs on a case that went wrong.

I can't really advise much more on this, except to advise extreme caution and be 100% sure that you dont mess up anything on your claim, as we know how keen YB are to find any excuse to get them struck out. Still, it's your claim and your choice how to proceed. I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks chez. Glad you don't see me as just giving you a rollicking. Can you confirm if you've had any kind of offer? If not I think you'll be fine, or at least as fine as you can be going this route. I suspect you will have a long fight.

Oh that's right, I remember you posting about that now. You couldn't bring yourself to rip it up and had to get hubby to do it.:p

• 1 month later...

I believe that you can just go to court on the day and act as lay representative. I guess you could put a note with your bundle to say that this will be happening if it's ok with the court, but it remains to be seen if you get as far as submitting a bundle.;)

• Haha 1

Cheers Matey - Mucho appreciated :)

That sounds easy then!

No lets get it right ... they'll let me print & submit my bundle then settle the day after I post it (Like LW did!) Grrrrrr! :-x

I took a calculated risk as I was advised that the reason YB can get away with not submitting a bundle on time (or at all come to that), is that they simply say they are trying to settle. My claim was settled 4 days after the bundle was due, and I decided to leave it a few days before printing it all off. The gamble worked but I will confess that I was apprehensive about it, and am not sure I'd recommend it as a course of action. I think I told the court what was going on to make sure I didn't land myself in trouble.

• 1 month later...

All Yorkshire Bank claims are dealt with by the Legal Services department in Glasgow and this doesn't affect your claim. Did you send your prelim and LBA to Scotland or England?

I think if the court have accepted the claim and you haven't heard anything yet you are probably ok for the English courts.

Can I take it that you have decided against claiming CI, or are you stating the amount of your claim before adding CI?

Once the claim is accepted it will definitely not be a problem dealing with the Legal Services Dept in Glasgow.

I was under the impression that if you claimed CI, the interest was included as part of the claim. As long as its been accepted I guess its ok. I think the service address for documents is probably ok. It's only if the court said it was outside their jurisdiction that there would be a problem.

• 1 month later...

Usual stuff chezt.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fine chezt. The part in red I assume refers to the part of the letter that says "Without Prejudice save as to Costs". This means that if the judge agreed to you being paid the amount already on the table, or even less, they could produce the letter (but only after judgment) and theoretically the judge may decide to award the bank costs on account of your unreasonableness at not accepting the offer. If your claim is on the small claims track, and your claim is for statutory interest then the judge is likely to consider YB's threats and intimidatory so forget it.

I think I'd leave it as it may sound a bit confrontational. BTW it should be principle not principal.

OK that's fine by me!

I hadn't noticed the principal thing so thanks - tbh I've been beg, borrowing n adding from all over the place n didn't notice that one! Not sure the banks would either & looking at some letters they have sent out in the past, I don't think they would either! ;)

Thanks again ... I'll get it printed n see what happens next!

Very good point chezt. Make you wonder if you sent something really silly they'd notice that.:roll:

• 3 weeks later...

I take it you'll be reminding them this is a cc then chezt. They do seem to struggle with understand legal issues at times. Don't they learn anything when they look on CAG?:rolleyes: