Minimum payment to clear debt?

chas20
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have £15,000 owed to M&S Money and £5,000 to Clydesdale Bank and £600 to an accountant. I tried for years to repay the larger debts but am now 70 and have no chance of clearing this debt. I have no assets, car or house and only a pension as a regular income. I either declare myself bankrupt or find some money to pay a small % of these debts. Just wondered if anyone has experience of how small a % these companies will settle for. Shoosmith are chasing the M&S debt and threatening court action. Unfortunately although they related to some time ago, the last payments are not more than five years ago, so I can't claim them to be un-recoverable.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Think carefully about BR as you do own your home,

They don't :)

They *may* go for a low percentage - especially if you make your position clear; and that you are seriously considering bankruptcy. As it goes, bankruptcy might be a chepar + easier and faster option anyway. Do you know much about it as a process? Do you live in England, Wales or Scotland?

Hi Annie71 & Haven

Thanks for the comments. I don't own my own home and I live in Scotland. I have read the outlines of Sequestration but no personal experience so far. I have emailed StepChange today - hadn't hear of them so thanks for the contact.

Hi chas and Welcome to CAG! :-)

I think Stepchange is a good idea.

As you have no assets and your only income is your pension it's clear they won't be able to recover the lump sums by starting bankruptcy proceedings against you. You could do this yourself, as sequenci says above.

Unfortunately I don't know much about M&S Money or Clydesdale as I haven't dealt with either of them, so it might be worth your reading other threads on them to see how others have handled them.

Are the accounts for overdrafts or credit cards?

DD

Thanks DD, the accounts were credit cards which I was using to keep a business afloat. Should have gone bankrupt years ago and it would have been behind me now. I 'sold' the M&S debt to a third party 'Credit Release Me' as they convinced me they could purchase debt legally. They are now out of business and the latest set of Laywers insist the document I have has no legal basis. Previously the other Debt Collection agencies backed off when I showed them the documents. It looks as if I might have been conned.

Only the current owner of the debt can aell it. Not the debtor.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

:-) I'm obviously being dopey this morning. I still don't understand how the Rankines or anyone else buys these debts. Did they actually give people money for them, or did people actually pay them a percentage of the debt on the understanding that the debt would be the responsibility of the debt buyer? Because if they are debt 'buyers', they should have been the ones paying.

As I said, I think I'm being dopey. :-)

Sorry about the house comment I misunderstood.

With the rankines you paid them a fee to take over your debt. I personally know someone who almost did this.

One question , was the m&s credit card ever just a chargecard.

One option might be to play hardball. Stop paying and say make me BR if you think you're hard enough.

Sorry if this is wrong for scotland.

Looks like I was the 'dopey' one as I did pay a fee to Credit Release Me to take over the debt. I should have remembered the maxim "If it seems too good to be true it usually is"

I'm sorry to hear that. 90% of the time I'd agree with your maxim, but 10% of the time something may be absolutely wonderful. On one of the most important decisions of my life, probably THE most important, that maxim was quoted to me, and I am sooooo glad I stuck to my guns. It was good and it was true.

Anyway, we all do dopey things from time to time, and I've certainly done a number myself. :-)

Firstly, I think you should ask for a copy of these credit agreements. There is a template you can use - Green Library link at the top of the page. Let's see what they've actually got and we can take it from there.