Equidebt to Cabot DCA - Advice Please

DIVERMOOSE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I had a credit card debt in the early 2000's,

the debt had been passed through numerous agencies and I paid this throughout this time.

Having read through numerous sites and happily finding CAG.

In 2009 I issued to Equidebt a s.77/78 requesting the consumer credit agreement and they responded 14 days later

stating that a request for the consumer credit agreement had been placed with their vendor

and until the matter was resolved no further collection activity will occur.

Nothing happened then until November 2011 when I received a letter from Equidebt stating they had recently reviewed my account

and that a balance was still outstanding.

I am not certain if I responded to that letter or if I did it would have followed the line above in that I was still waiting for my requested copy of the CCA.

I received no further communication from them.

From this I assume that no copy of the CCA is in existence or it would have been produced by Equidebt or Credit Ancillary Services

which seems to have been one and the same organisation sending me letters at the time with the same address.

I have now just received a letter from Cabot Financial stating that they had recently bought the account and they are now responsible for my account and receiving payments.

They state in the reference information that the original lender was Equidebt, which it was not, it was a Bank credit card but they do quote the credit card number.

This debt does not appear on my Credit Report at all.

To put a scale of the debt for information it is between £2,000 and £4,000 and the interest has been frozen for a large number of years

and I have not made any payments for over 4 years.

Question, should I ignore this letter or respond in writing requesting the CCA again from Cabot and referring to my previous request letter some 4 years earlier.

I would appreciate some guidance on this as I do not want to stir up a hornets nest if not necessary.

Cabot normally only deal in lemon debts. Send a CCA to cabot.

Actually, have they sent a letter demanding payment or just that they have taken over them debt? If the latter, sit tight and dont do anything. Those letters are sent automatically and is just a paper exercise for them.

Keep an eye on your credit record incase they decide to try and change the default dates.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

No the letter is a "welcoming letter" They ask me to call them to discuss the options available to me in repaying the account.

They sound very polite saying please contact us soon!

For some reason this debt has never been on my credit record. Another one was but that has been paid in full.

Perhaps I should send off for a new CR and check it just in case.

If they arent asking for payment etc, then dont make contact. By lemon debt, you are right by stating bitter. It means its a debt that has problems in one way or another and thats why it has been passed around for years.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Keep us updated if anything comes through. Remember, its just a paper exercise to them. Any real communication might come in a few days, it might come in a year, it might not come till the debt is well statute barred.

equidebt are no more

their old portfolio has been sold on various phishing lists

various debt buyers acquire the lists

and fire out letters to see if a mug wants to respond..DON'T!!

i'd suspect you got fleeced on this in the first place by even paying equidebt.

as with any of your debts, ALWAYS CCA them, if the CCA applies.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It is wrong to assume that Cabot deal only with 'lemon' debts, many of the debts in the Equidebt portfolio are proving to be 'live'.

Cabot are now inclined to be litigious if the outstanding amount is £750.00 and over.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I stand corrected Brig. However it is still wise to lie low till a letter containing actual substance comes along. For a debt worth a few thousand, there must be something wrong with it for it to be passed around to bottom of the barrel DCA's. otherwise it could be one of the rare few that simply slip through the net.

Cabots attitude/ approach is far more rigorous than I've ever seen it over the years great care is needed, they can escalate to litigation very quickly.

(rec. PM Imp and responded).

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Maybe theyve heard of lowells tactics relating to dodgy debts. Stack them high and get them into court fast.

Maybe theyve heard of lowells tactics relating to dodgy debts. Stack them high and get them into court fast.

Lowells tactics are failing quite often now:madgrin:.