Ircas fine for forgetting railcard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently travelled from Sunderland to Fratton, forgetting my 16-25 railcard. Was given fines totalling around £200 in 3 separate fines. (slightly over the top). But was told to take my railcard to my local ticket office with the fine and the matter is dealt with. Not a problem. But this has turned out not to be the case. I have had to appeal the fines given. Yet I have received a notice saying the payment is due and no update as to my appeal. Just wondering if I will have to pay or they will see sense..?

Tickets purchased with a discount ticket are only valid when presented in conjunction with proof of entitlement to that discount. I.e: carrying the card.

From http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/using-your-card/railcard-terms-conditions/

5- Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard.

6- You must carry your Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, you will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.

I guess you got three different penalty tickets because you used three different train companies, Northern, East Coast, and South West? The first time might have been accidental, but once you were told, you still deliberately got on the next train. Each Inspector can only issue a Penalty Fare / Unpaid Fare (which incidentally is what the EC one probably was, at least, i.e. not the same as the PF) for his own company, hence you got three. Ironically that's probably to your advantage, else, instead of getting twice the single fare for three legs of the journey, you would have received 3 penalty fares at twice the total price. Ouch. Now that might've been 'over the top'!

Actually, by the time you reached SWT territory, I'm surprised it wasn't deemed intentionally trying to avoid a portoin oof your fare, as it would have been obvious how fare you'd travelled. Perhaps you met Guards rather than inspectors each time after all...? In which case, that was probably a bonus.

Luck!

Hi,

I recently travelled from Sunderland to Fratton, forgetting my 16-25 railcard. Was given fines totalling around £200 in 3 separate fines. (slightly over the top). But was told to take my railcard to my local ticket office with the fine and the matter is dealt with. Not a problem. But this has turned out not to be the case. I have had to appeal the fines given. Yet I have received a notice saying the payment is due and no update as to my appeal. Just wondering if I will have to pay or they will see sense..?

Did you ensure that your appeal (in each case) was sent to the addresses on each of the notices that you received within 21 days of the incident?