Attachment of earnings, how much can they take?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have two attachment of earnings orders for council tax which were put through court at the same time and total about £1500 together. Today is the first time I have been paid & the amount that has been taken from my wages is £600ish leaving me just over £1000 to live on for the month. My rent is £685 so as you can see I will be very short this month. I have done some research online via HMRC & cab website & they talk about a protected payment amount but I can't find exact details of amounts, I need to know if they can actually take this amount in one go or if my employer has made a mistake. Also, I was never asked to fill on a statement o earnings but is this just because it was for council tax? I also have another attachment of earnings which takes around £40 per month. Can anyone help me please?

I haven't collected my wage slip yet to confirm exact amounts.

£914.00 unfair bank charges recovered from NatWest after 1st letter :)

£255.00 unfair bank charges recovered from RBS after 1st letter :)

Welcome Finance cannot supply original agreement, N1 issued for charges, PPI & interest total over £3k :cool:

Woolwich 2 defaults removed, 1 ccj removed. My credit file is now clean :D

Not sure which area you are in but looking at the following website (for Northampton Council) gives you a rough idea.

Looks like its all to do with earnings.

Looks like they're taking 17% of your wage for each AEO.

Not 100% sure but that would appear round about correct.

It states that the employer will write to you shortly after deducting the monies to explain what has been taken.

I know it's of little consolation but paying at this rate will see the orders serviced fully by the end of October.

Doubt there's anything you can do.

I'm sure those with more knowledge will be along shortly

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/996/council_tax_attachment_of_earnings

It never rains but it pours...

Ok, thanks for taking the time to reply Bombaymix. They did send a letter showing the bracket I would be in & I was expe ring to pay back about £300 per month, I didn't realise because there are two orders they would run at the same time. Is put me in a real position this month with paying my house rent. I'm going to contact step change for some help. Thanks.

Not sure which area you are in but looking at the following website (for Northampton Council) gives you a rough idea.

Looks like its all to do with earnings.

Looks like they're taking 17% of your wage for each AEO.

Not 100% sure but that would appear round about correct.

It states that the employer will write to you shortly after deducting the monies to explain what has been taken.

I know it's of little consolation but paying at this rate will see the orders serviced fully by the end of October.

Doubt there's anything you can do.

I'm sure those with more knowledge will be along shortly

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/996/council_tax_attachment_of_earnings

£914.00 unfair bank charges recovered from NatWest after 1st letter :)

£255.00 unfair bank charges recovered from RBS after 1st letter :)

Welcome Finance cannot supply original agreement, N1 issued for charges, PPI & interest total over £3k :cool:

Woolwich 2 defaults removed, 1 ccj removed. My credit file is now clean :D

There are so many councils that are now taking the route of attachment of earnings. It is really worrying.

They know the employer details from the complete Financial Statment that they ask you to complete.

Self employed people of course would not be subject to AEO.

I have included a pamphlet from Citizens Advice on what is involved which may help-http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/debt_w/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/creditor_takes_money_from_your_wages.htm

In addition, I would contact the Council to see why you have not received any notifications of any intended Court proceedings etc. I suspect that they may still be writing to your previous address.

Please let us know the outcome when you speak to the Council as you might be able to have the Attachments Order quashed if they did get the address wrong.

Edited by lookinforinfo