style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I've had a letter come through today from Collectica which states I owe £755 from fines dating back two years ago. The total amount still outstanding to the courts is £455, so the rest are bailiff fees.

These were initially being taken out of my benefits (I've been on Jobseeker's Allowance for some time now) but I signed off for two weeks to attend a work trial. When I signed back on, there were similar deductions being taken off which I assumed were the fines again (I owed no other money out). I then had to move at the end of June abruptly.

Today's letter is the first contact I've had from the courts or Collectica for some time. I wasn't aware the courts were looking at taking enforcement action and they say it's been sent on since the beginning of July. They've also said that, despite my move, they've sent out all the relevant documents and have met their obligations legally.

I'm staying with a friend and his family while I sort myself out after a couple of years of severe depression due to my mother's illness and subsequent passing. Things were pretty much looking up until this happened and I'm really unsure about what to do. I've not contacted Collectica yet as I'm scared it'll make things worse, and I'm worried if I tell them about this letter or the fact there are bailiffs, I'll be out. Obviously I'll need to explain this to them though.

I'm not going to say I'm not at fault though - I should've managed my affairs better and had this sorted a long time ago.

Tried contacting the court to find out whats going on?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Sorry, forgot to cover that.

I contacted the Magistrates Court today to explain the situation (that deductions had continued and I believed that they were for the fines as before, and about my move) and they stated they were completely unable to recall the debt from Collectica. However, I'm sure I know someone who's previously had a debt recovered from their predecessor Phillips. I'm more or less unsure where to go from there. They offered me a telephone number for Civil Legal Services, but when I contacted them the advisor said they were unable to help and unsure as to why I was given their number in the first place.

They are not unable to recall it. Speak to someone with more authority. it is the courts mistake.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I'll do that first thing tomorrow. Does it matter that I've not informed them of my change of address? It was one of those things that completely slipped my mind. Also, should I ask for a manager or whatever the fines service equivalent is?

I am sure that very shortly there will have to be something done at HMCTS about such situations because at present there are so many people who are being taken off Jobseekers Allowance and given a ZERO HOURS contract only to find that the promised "employment" is for just a couple of hours one week and nothing further. The individual then has to go back onto Jobseekers.

The problem of course is then when Jobseekers stops......so too does the deduction of £5 per week in respect of the court fine.

This common scenario is seriously affecting the most vulnerable members of the public !!!

In your case, the court can indeed recall any warrant and in particular may do so in cases where there has been a change in circumstances since the fine had been imposed.

Also, remind the court that as you had moved you have not received a Further Steps Notice. This is a legal document.