Help please statutory demand & european enforcement order / Bankruptcy Petition now served

djali
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i am a new user

,last month i received a statutory demand, i applied for it to be set aside.

I have been given a court date for 22nd of august,

I need help on how to get this set aside,

this is from a french judgement, i lost the case in france, i never understood what even happened.

But to cut a long story short we had a charge placed on our property in france.

We found it dificult to sell and eventually they told us it would go to auction the amount on the valuation was stupid.

We drastically cut the price and managed to find a buyer, they agreed to the sale.

They have now come on to us and say there is a shortfall and interest and costs.

They also say they have a european enforcement order,

we have been given no details of this from England or France.

Does anyone know if we would be given details from the court?

the first thing we knew was the statutory demand landing on the doorstep,

it was served by a bailiff but we were overseas at the time.

Any help please.

The order is likely to have originated in france.

Do you have assets (e.g. a property) in England?

It's certainly possible for cross-border insolvency action to happen, provisions have been afforded for this under the Insolvency Act 1986.

The EEO is issued where the debt issue is uncontested. You need to find out where the EEO was granted and submit the relevant application for the court to set this aside, as you did not receive any paperwork from the court, even though the claimant had your UK address.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi we did contest the original case,can we ask the UK solicitor to show us these documents.Its a firm from London.Also the courts in France did have our UK address.We don't believe they have this document is there a way to find out.Many thanks.

Hi we did contest the original case,can we ask the UK solicitor to show us these documents.Its a firm from London.Also the courts in France did have our UK address.We don't believe they have this document is there a way to find out.Many thanks.

Yes make a formal request for copies of documents by recorded delivery letter.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please review CPR 74.31 and the following sections: http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part74#IDAUU3HC

I don't know how you would get a copy of the EEO itself. For the EEO to be much use to them in England they would need to lodge various documents with the English court ... and you could then get a copy of those documents from the court file.

My understanding is that EEO are only available in uncontested claims. You might fall into that category if there were legal proceedings in France which you don't know about.

I think the first thing is to write to the other side stating that you have never received a copy of the alleged EEO or any court documents underlying it, and asking for a copy. State that you will draw the court's attention to that letter when seeking costs at the litigant in person rate in relation to your application to set aside the SD.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 2 weeks later...

statutory demand and european enforcement order

Hi this is urgent can anyone help me.

Hearing in one week,i am starting to panic.

I did post a short version of this a few weeks ago.

last month i recieved a statutory demand, i applied for it to be set aside.

I have been given a court date for 22nd of august,

I need help on how to get this set aside,

this is from a french judgement, i lost the case in france, i never understood what even happened.

But to cut a long story short we had a charge placed on our property in france.

We found it dificult to sell and eventualy they told us it would go to auction the amount on the valuation was stupid.

So we drasticly cut the price and managed to find a buyer, they agreed to the sale.

They have now come on to us and say there is a shortfall and interest and costs.

They also say they have a european enforcement order,

we have been given no details of this from England or France.

This debt is from june 2008 we have been sent no documents from england.

the first thing we knew was the statutory demand landing on the doorstep,

it was served by a bailiff but we were overseas at the time.

We have claimed to have this set aside on the following grounds.

There is no uk court order.

we made offers to pay in france.

They say this is a personal loan but we have no documents.

We dont believe the eeo is registered in the uk courts.

The interest rate keeps changing.

I need to know how to word this so it sounds right,the demand has been sent to me and my husband 2 hearings for the same amount.

We do own our house and there is enough eguity.

I am in a real panic, hearing is next week i have never done anything like this.

I dont know anything else i can do, can anyone please help i dont know how to word this so it sounds right. They will be represented by a law firm that served the demand

and we will be out of our depths i dont have money for a law firm.

Can anyone please help,thank you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?398550-Help-please-statutory-demand-and-european-enforcement-order

This is your original thread. I am wondering if it would be worth merging the two so that people have the complete history of the claim.

I will also alert site team for you.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you i dont think i know how to work this properly,i have tried to put more information on the thread, thought it would be best to start again.

Thanks for your help.

I have alerted site team. I am sure they will be with you as soon as they can :)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi can anyone help.

Can a European enforcement order be used for bankruptcy proceedings.

I E a statutory demand I have been told it can't be used for this.

Can anyone confirm this.

An EEO is only a basic court claim for what is considered an undisputed claim. It has nothing to do with bankruptcy.

If a creditor wants to make you bankrupt they can apply to the court in the country where the debt is owed, even if you are absent (provided they follow the relevant rules) and then they can attempt to enforce in a court where you are resident. Not very likely unless the amount owed makes it worth it and they have found that you own assets which could be sold in order to pay them.

Hi thanks for your reply,

I have been served a statutory demand from a French debt,

with a European enforcement order and a copy of the French court order.

Can I contest it on the grounds that the EEO as not been registered in the UK.

Or I have been told they can't use it in a stutory demand until they receive a UK court order.

I am very confused any help please.

I think they must have uk court involvement yes

who served the SD?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

After giving this some thought, I think you need to treat this like setting aside any other statutory demand.

There may be ways of attacking the validity of the EEO or any failure by the other side to properly register it in England & Wales (see http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part74#IDAUU3HC). However, you are not in a position to assess this until you have the documents. It is for the creditor to prove that they have an enforceable debt.

I suggest spending a couple of hours browsing through CAG using the search function. There are lots and lots of success stories of people setting aside SDs. Let us know what further help you need.

Whether this will be the end of the matter is another issue. Do you think there might be a genuine debt here? If so, I would write a letter to the creditor asking for a copy of the relevant documents. If the creditor proves its claim you can then think about making a payment offer, but let them produce the paperwork first.

The EU EO is used to enforce a domestic courts judgement anywhere in the EU.

A judge make an order in the UK against an absentee for an example an ex pat living I Spain the EU order is used to enforce there.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for your reply

We have now been sent a copy of the EEO

It just looks like something downloaded from the internet,

there has been no contact with the UK courts.

This is the first time I've seen this document should I have been served this before I got the statutory demand.

The amount on the EEO is the original amount before the sale of the property in France.

It also has the French address on it.

The date on the EEO is may 2013 the property was sold in Nov 2012.

The hearing to set aside is this Thur.

I still find all this EEO confusing any other help would be appreciated.

Starting to panic now.

I lost a case in France a charged was placed on my French property this has now been sold with the permission of the creditor.

I received no other court documents in the UK just the statutory demand.

Should I have been served the EEO before the statutory demand.

I have also been told the EEO can not be used for bankruptcy proceedings.

Any help please we have applied for set aside on these grounds hearing is next week.

The EEO was served by a law firm in London.

I would request clarification of whether the EEO has been lodged with the English courts and, if so, a copy of the court application. This is required by CPR 74.31 (see the link I posted above). You should make yourself familiar with this part of the CPR and bring a copy along with you to the hearing.

At this stage you are just making them go through hoops. It is important to think long-term. If they do have an EEO, then ultimately they will be able to enforce that in England one way or another. Forcing them to go through the registration process will delay matters but will not get rid of the issue.

EEOs are only supposed to be granted where the debt is uncontested. Most likely the debt was deemed uncontested because you did not file a Defence in France, and therefore default judgment was awarded. I assume you never received the court papers.

My understanding is that the English courts are not permitted to re-examine the circumstances behind the EEO, since the purpose of the EEO Regulations and other similar Regulations in this area is to ensure that judgments in one EU member state are enforceable in other member states. Matters relating to real estate are generally considered to be in the exclusive jurisdiction of the relevant EU member state (i.e. if you have a dispute about French land it can only be litigated in France). It will therefore be difficult to re-litigate the underlying judgment in England.

If you feel the EEO is unfair, then there will be a system for reviewing it (this is required by the Regulation - see Article 19). http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0805:EN:HTML. The Regulation is very clear that "Under no circumstances may the judgment or its certification as a European Enforcement Order be reviewed as to their substance in the Member State of enforcement." If you want to contest the EEO that must be done in France, not England. The only bit that comes under English law will be how the EEO is enforced.

So, what to do if you cannot afford a lawyer in France to contest the EEO? I guess you can proceed with the set-aside application for now. Longer-term you can think about agreeing a payment plan. I am not 100% sure but I believe you could ask the court to set monthly payments towards the judgment using form N245.

Threads merged ...please do not start new threads on the same matter.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 months later...

Any help please we have been served a bankruptcy petition.

We have to attend court on the 28th Nov.

This is for a judgement obtained in France they had a charge on our property in france they agreed we could sell.

We believed this was the end.

But we recieved a statutory demand

We tried to have this set aside on the grounds that the judgement was not registered in the UK I don't know why but this was rejected.

The amount they are claiming is mostly interest.

We dispute the amount of interest.We have also tried to negotiate but they just reject everything.

The amount is 80,000 of which £50,000 is interest we offered £800 a month rejected.

Then we offered £20,000 now and £30,000 in the year.

They won't listen to anything we have now sold our property and waiting completion.

But they won't withdraw the petition.

Do you think a judge will think any of this fair.

We still dispute the amount of interest and the judgement as still not been registered in the UK.

Any advice please before we attend court or anything else we can do.

djali, I have merged this latest question to the original thread so all the information is in on place.

BCOBS

You must seek proper legal advice from a Solicitor who deals with such cross border debts and bankruptcy.

There is too much at stake.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/help/

If you get made bankrupt,

once the insolvency people get hold of this,

it is going to cost you a lot more than what the creditors are currently seeking.

Don't try to deal with this yourself.

Find a Solicitors with the experience to deal with this.

I agree this must be dealt with by an expert an EEO is hard to fight so you need to have a well structure reaponse ready.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: