style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. So a week ago I got caught trying to shoplift a bottle of aftershave from Debenhams. A stupid thing to do obviously and have no excuse.

Anyway, leaving aside the morality if my actions, I got the expected RLP letter this morning. It said that I owe them £147.50 which strikes me as a tad excessive seeing as the item was recovered undamaged and I was only detained for about half an hour. The police came but didn't arrest or fine me, just made me apologise to the store detective.

From reading the threads on here it seems that a one line letter denying liability is the way to go (even though I was caught, bang to rights ). However they have managed to get my name quite spectacularly wrong - spelling my first name wrong and using my middle name as my surname, with no reference whatsoever to my actual surname. Would it be an option to write to them saying that no one of that name lives at this address and to stop sending letters? Or should I just stick to the tried and tested method?

Finally, I'd rather not keep getting letters sent so as to avoid arousing the wife's suspicions, so I'm a little tempted to suck it up, pay and move on. If I write to them denying liability but offer say £50 without prejudice to make them go away are they likely to accept or would that just complicate things?

Just trying to work out the best course of action really.

Just send back the one line letter that denies any liability. Jackie will soon give up sending letters after a month or three and pass it on to a bottom feeding DCA. You can then tell the DCA that no debt exists and you will be reporting them to the OFT. Unfortunately there are no quick fixes with RLP, you need to just stand above them and let the idiots get bored.

If you pay, you are justifying their borderline illegal business model and making it EXTREMELY hard for others. Remember, it is a speculative invoice and if you pay, then they will have you marked as gullible, and could chase you further.

The best course of action is as follows:

Stop shoplifting.

Send the letter that denies liability

Ignore any of the rubbish jackie sends you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D