Confused about train ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3982 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a return to go up to London on Friday. On the "out ticket", it gives me a specific time and I have a reserved seat. It has 2 parts to it. (the seat reservation and the other part)

This is where I'm confused:

The return ticket has one part to it. When I booked the ticket, I specified that I want the 1106 from Paddington. The ticket just tells me it's valid until some time in August.

Does this mean that I can catch an earlier train and is it right that I'm not meant to have a second ticket as mentioned above? I looked online (booked through Virgin) and it says that I booked the 1106 train and I have no reserved seat.

Edit: Just checked again and it's a super off-peak. Is off-peak after 9am or 9.30am?

depends on the train company sometimes

check their websites

I've been caughtout before by east coast mainline

my journey Euston-inverness was 09:15

I got on a return on a Monday at inverness with virgin [i think] at 09:22

and was told by the inspector I was too early.

ok he let me off [thanks to my dog !!]

next month

I did the same [naughty] but confirmed before with platform staff if I was ok to use this train

they said it was ok, I even checked with the train manager.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Super Off-Peak typically means that you can't arrive in a London Terminal before 10 or 11am or leave London before 1900hrs....Will obviously vary depending on the operator though, so I'd heed DX's advice and check with the Train Operating Company.

Thanks :) The ticket was purchased from Virgin, who seem to give very little information.

All it says is:

SUPER OFF-PEAK RETURN

TICKET TYPE

SUPER OFF-PEAK

DESCRIPTION

Flexible ticket only valid at specific off-peak times of the day.

VALIDITY

Your outward journey must be on super off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on super off-peak trains within one calendar month. Super off-peak times vary by route - our journey planner only shows super off-peak tickets on trains for which they are valid.

BOOKING

Can be booked in advance or purchased on the day of travel.

REFUNDS

If you decide not to use your ticket to make all or part of your intended journey then you can apply for a refund from the My Account pages, or through Customer Support within 28 days of expiry of the ticket. Please note, the outward portion cannot be refunded if the return portion has been used. A GBP 10.00 administration fee will apply and the amount of the refund will take into account any use you have made of the ticket and in some circumstances no refund will be paid.

AMENDING YOUR BOOKING

You can change the time of your outward journey and the date and time of your return journey without changing your tickets. If you wish to change your date of travel or Class of ticket, you will need to buy a new ticket and apply for a refund on your current ticket.

DISCOUNTS

Yes - normal railcard and child discounts available.

BREAK OF JOURNEY

You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel.

OTHER CONDITIONS

The outward portion of a Super Off-Peak Return ticket is only valid for travel when accompanied by an unused return portion.

Route

This ticket allows travel on any permitted route.

my journey Euston-inverness was 09:15

I got on a return on a Monday at inverness with virgin [i think] at 09:22

and was told by the inspector I was too early.

ok he let me off [thanks to my dog !!]

next month

I did the same [naughty] but confirmed before with platform staff if I was ok to use this train

they said it was ok, I even checked with the train manager.

dx

Lucky you dx ! If you had been spoken to by an RPI on the first journey and s/he had made a note and then you were spoken to by the same RPI on the second occasion, it could have been an entirely different and potentially very expensive outcome.

I have a return to go up to London on Friday. On the "out ticket", it gives me a specific time and I have a reserved seat. It has 2 parts to it. (the seat reservation and the other part)

This is where I'm confused:

The return ticket has one part to it. When I booked the ticket, I specified that I want the 1106 from Paddington. The ticket just tells me it's valid until some time in August.

Does this mean that I can catch an earlier train and is it right that I'm not meant to have a second ticket as mentioned above? I looked online (booked through Virgin) and it says that I booked the 1106 train and I have no reserved seat.

Edit: Just checked again and it's a super off-peak. Is off-peak after 9am or 9.30am?

Nystigamite, you have a return ticket that is booked on the specific train off-peak requested for your outward journey and you have a complimentary seat reservation for that journey.

If no train time is specified, your return journey must be made within one calendar month, travelling on an OFF-PEAK timed train of your choice.

If you decide that you want to travel on a specific date and train, you should be able to get a seat reservation for that day by going to a booking office and showing your ticket, but of course that needs to be done in advance and when you decide when you want to return.

I thank the dog!

t'was a good few years ago mind 2008/9 I think

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...