I paid lots of PPI but have no evidence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3996 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a great many credit cards over the years and have certainly paid a great deal of PPI though none of it in recent times.

Unfortunately over the mists of time I've forgotten exactly who I had PPI with, for what period and how much I paid. I've actually been self-employed all my working life and am led to believe that I would never have been able to claim on it even if I'd wanted to.

Would I be able to find out this information by asking for an SAR? Would they have all of my information (some of these accounts go back into the 1980s) and should I expect to see all of this information

In short, I'm pretty sure I was mis-sold PPI but currently have absolutely no documentary evidence. Is this worth pursuing?

A friend of mine wrote to most of the banks to claim back and got money back from several, including one that she completely forgot she had a credit card with and got several thousand back, going back to the '90's.

Go for it!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks caro.

Am I right in thinking that there is some sort of restriction on having to make a claim within 6 years of having the policy as I'm pretty sure that I haven't paid PPI to any credit card company for a long time, certainly more than 6 years.

Thanks caro.

Am I right in thinking that there is some sort of restriction on having to make a claim within 6 years of having the policy as I'm pretty sure that I haven't paid PPI to any credit card company for a long time, certainly more than 6 years.

No, this isn't right in general terms.

The criteria for a complaint being timebarred are that it has to be

1) over 6 years from the event being complained about; and

2) over 3 years since you knew, or ought to have known, that you have grounds for complaint.

The second criteria tends to be the more important one as if the provider is going to timebar your complaint,

the onus falls on them to show that you should have been aware of your grounds for complaint over 3 years ago.

FOS will not generally accept the "publicity" argument,

the proof needs to be case specific and it is very hard to prove this,

hence why you don't often see cases timebarred.

One thing that is acceptable to start the clock running a personalised letter advising customers

that they may have been impacted by sales failings

(hence why so many providers are currently doing exactly this to start the clock running).

But that's not likely to be a factor for a couple of years.

One thing you need to do is ensure you get your facts straight before jumping in head first.

It's not generally that as a self employed person you wouldn't be covered by PPI.

Some policies do cover the self employed virtually fully,

some cover with conditions of varying degrees of severity and some don't cover at all.

Before you go making any complaint you need to ascertain what the situation is with your policy(s).

My friends Barclaycard refund went back to the late 90's although they took some off as she made a claim in 2004. Odd part about that is that they say they only keep records for 6 years.

Don't be fobbed off if they try and short change you because you can claim back over 6 years.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.