Disapointed with sky broadband

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved 5 months ago to sky talk, that is TV, internet and phone. To be honest i was tempted with their 6 months free broadband package and BT would not match it.

I have no complaints with Sky TV or phone, it is the internet

My internet speed is only 6 meg, TO BE HONEST IT IS TOTAL PANTS

I cannot even watch you tube as the voices have to catch up with the pictures

I have ended all open programs in device manager, i have even deleted Firefox and used internet explorer to speed up bandwidth

Sky overall is OK, but the broadband does not live up to expectation, after 12 months i will reluctantly be going back to BT

I have now been on the phone to Sky for the last 57 minutes in total, gone through 8 different operators, and cut off three times

I wish to cancel my Sky talk and go back to BT

I realise there will be a penalty for early termination, which i will accept

It is like pulling teeth, i am on hold at this moment, this is disgraceful customer service

Have you tried multiple speedtests? Checked your NIC? made sure your system is running perfectly and includes latest updates? Checked if router is ok? Checked if there is any outside interference ( Sky routers are known to be easily susceptible to noise from sockets or devices).

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I know what the problem is, i have contacted an ex college who made a discrete investigation. (Open Reach Engineer)

The problem is in the exchange, sky is so heavily over subscribed at the moment, there just is not the capacity to cope. I would tolerate it if sky would just be honest and acknowledge the problem. I have lost count the number of times they have tried to get me too unscrew the face plate, for Christ sake i only have half a knee and find it almost impossible to bend down

The open reach engineer just told me to phone BT in the morning and they will handle the transfer

Theyll handle the transfer, but you wont get anywhere unless you get a MAC code off sky. However, sky must give you this code when asked, within 5 working days. They cannot refuse to do so.

One prob you may run into, is sinc eyou have sky talk as well, the entire line will have to be switched. Depending on whether your current or future ISP uses LLU/PPOAE etc, you may incur a fee for them to switch you over.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I will speak to BT in the morning and see what they say, i was told that BT will obtain the mac code on my behalf and that i would have to do nothing regarding the change over once i informed BT

i will update in the morning

It is rare BT will obtain the code for you, unless its a new thing they are doing. Normally the user has to get the MAC code and give it to the new ISP.

Been in contact with BT this morning and i am quite impressed

My service will go back to BT 1n 10 days. They get the MAC code direct from Sky and do everything. BT engineer booked

BT infinity phone and broadband, line rental and broadband for the first three months, 40 meg download £31.45, after 3 months £38.45

I have signed up for BT INFINITY OPTION 2. phone line and broadband for the first three months £35.45, after three months £41.45

That is with an internet speed of 71.4 MEG DOWNLOAD SPEED:shock::madgrin::smile:

My average speed with Sky has been between 2 and 5 meg download speed :sad::?:

Edited by postggj

Thats good news. Good to see that BT have moved their business procedures to consumers, regarding MAC codes and transfers.

BT infinity is great, just bear in mind that for the first 6 months - year, unless you pay the high premium, they do restrict the connection if you are using any peer to peer software. Direct connections though are totally unrestricted.

That is with an internet speed of 71.4 MEG DOWNLOAD SPEED

how do you know this if sky still have your line ?

you can only know what speed your getting if you use the socket in your house.

if you are with sky

in the address bar at the top of your page type in... 192.168.0.1 that will bring up the sky rouater and the user name is admin and the password is sky or the other way round on the screen it will tell you the speed at your house not the speed at the exchange

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

That is with an internet speed of 71.4 MEG DOWNLOAD SPEED

how do you know this if sky still have your line ?

you can only know what speed your getting if you use the socket in your house.

if you are with sky

in the address bar at the top of your page type in... 192.168.0.1 that will bring up the sky rouater and the user name is admin and the password is sky or the other way round on the screen it will tell you the speed at your house not the speed at the exchange

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

I have already had Sky phone me wanting to know why i am leaving,

BT have already sent through the disconnection notice to Sky

I will be back with BT on the 27th June

Before i left for Sky, i was on BT infinity option 1, i regular as clockwork received 40 download speed

Edited by postggj

Bt know as they use fttc. This guarantees a specific speed at minimum. The true speed depends on the cabinet to your house

I had the same dilemma. But they wanted to delay my phone and broadband installation, so I just stuck with virgin for them and took sky tv. Best choice I ever made, now I get the best of both worlds. I would advise anyone going to sky to do the same.

As promised, BT came today as to the appointment and set up BT option 2 infinity

i am currently getting 71m download speed :madgrin::madgrin::!:

So i ask the question, if BT can do this just by changing a few wires in the junction box, why have i had all these reliability problems with SKY??

At the end of the day, i will put up with BT lousy customer service just to have a stable internet connection

First time i have been happy in the last six months

Its a little more complicated than changing a few wires but BT always seems to make a huge deal of everything when other companies dont.

True, but why cant these other providers provide a service that they advertise, without the exaggeration of their potential

BT stated 71m, and that's what i received, and stable

Bt own the hardware, exchanges, have on call techs. The other isps basically rent the stuff from them.

The only thing in all this will probably be the cost element

All the other internet providers will be providing the service bargain basement in any contract between BT and the service provider. As always, its the end consumer that suffers on the after care as soon as the contract is signed

Just my own opinion that statement