Suspension from work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone thanks in advance for any advice you can give, I have been suspended from work pending an investigation the reasons behind the suspension was intent to defraud the company.

Back story:

I have worked for this company for 11 years only had one unrelated issue on my record otherwise it's spotless, it's a large supermarket chain and the situation arose due to me speaking to an off duty colleague while I was working. The colleague in question was at our workplace to solve a wage issue and the HR department were on break so asked me his query, we then spoke about what he purchased from the store (DVDs) the conversation lasted about 50 minutes total. My manager seen us speaking and decided to check the security cameras to determine how long we were speaking for, I was then called into the office for a meeting to discuss this issue. After which I was suspended pending an investigation. The accusation is intention to defraud the company through time theft, I was wondering if anyone has ever been dismissed for an issue such as this because the impression I am getting is their intention is to fire me.

I dunno if it's relevant but the manager who watched me was the one who conducted the initial investigation, and also has been openly discussing the situation with colleagues who have no reason to be involved

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't call it "theft" per se but almost an hour is completely slacking off and unacceptable.

Has the manager been "dicussing" or has he been holding "investigatory interviews" to see if you do this a lot?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Do you always end your shift on time or do you continue until you've finished what you are doing and then go home?

I ask because although an employer doesn't have to pay overtime, you would have an argument that you have given them more than 50 mins in unpaid time.

I think they will fall over on the word 'intend' as I'm sure you didn't intend to talk that long, you didn't come to work that day with the intention of talking to a workmate for 50 mins.

Also if you completed your allotted task and schedule, then there was no working time taken.

Edited by Conniff