Living situation and rent issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I was advised to post here by a tenant who had issues with the landlord before and got advise here and hopefully I can have some guidance.

I owe the landlord 5 months rent and have explained to him that I lost my job and cannot afford the rent. Since then he has issued an S21 and S8 and the notice ends in July. I know this is entirely my fault but the landlord has been aggressive, trying to break into my room, forcing the key out of the door and trying to open it so I have to call the police just to get him to leave. In fact I applied for JSA and Housing Benefit but failed to attend the appointment a few months ago due to him harassing me and trying to get in.

Simply put I know I owe him rent, he wants it but I barely leave my room in fear he will remove my items, evict me illegally or get violent towards me. He has police reports against him several times for this and the private tenancy officer contacted which he stopped for awhile and now is starting again being a few hours ago trying to gain access and threatening me he will come back in 2 days with men to remove my things. I cannot even go to the bathroom without fearing he will come in at that moment and try to enter my room. I have missed doctors appointments for my health issues because of this too.

I emailed again today asking him not to try to gain entry as it is illegal and he replied being aggressive that he WILL receive his money next week and that he 'knows I work because I get stuff ordered to the house' which is true somewhat but that is because friends have been kind enough to buy me food and send me it.

I am trying to find work and do bits and odds just to give him some money with no luck and I just do not know what to do as he will not stop harassing me and the police will not help and he lies to the private tenant officer (so he has said in an email that I lied to them when I have proof of the food orders and nothing else).

He is also telling my housemates the situation and they make me feel like rubbish looking down on me and again just making me stay locked in my room. I have sold my possessions other than my computer to look for work just to get some food too.

I owe the landlord £1600 and the S21 end date seeking possession AFTER 20/7/13. Sorry for the long post and I am not looking for sympathy, I know I am at fault here but I am becoming more depressed and feel highly threatened and he just doesn't seem to care.

Edit: Forgot to mention that he has been putting bills in tenants names when all bills are included in the rent. One tenant who moved out 14 months ago knocked a few weeks back as landlord had put a £900 electric bill in his name then pretended to be an estate agent saying he cannot get hold of the landlord so when I gave the old tenant the landlords number it turned out the estate agent was the same guy and it has escalated to court. I am worried he will also try this.

Edited by james87uk

Separate issues IMO, LL can not harass you etc etc but you do owe rent and at the end of the day its his business. I would suggest getting down to Housing asap and the JC, I assume the eviction notice was correctly served? you do need proper advice from a lawyer or CAB and you have got to go, sadly sitting at home because you are too scared of your LL wont make the situation go away. Could someone else sit in your room while you are out if you are worried about leaving it?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

So I presume this is a house of multiple occupancy? Is it legal and registered with the council?

Did you pay a deposit and is it protected? if not then S21 not valid and cannot seek repossession on that basis.

However he can still submit S8 for non payment of rent.

Surprised he has let it go for so long, if he goes to court he will get an order and you will only get 14 days before eviction order ( accelerated procedure ).

Suggest you contact shelter for advice.

If he continues to harass you contact the Police.

• 3 months later...