Utility bills for Flat and shop downstairs

mattyop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4016 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI all, just looking for a bit of advice on this issue I currently rent a flat in a converted building which comprises of my flat and a shop unit downstairs. When i moved into the flat i updated all the bills into my name by contacting the suppliers and this was all going along with no problems. then a business moved into the shop downstairs and my Electric and Water bills started to increase rapidly, when i looked into this it became clear that there is only one meter in the property which supplies the entire property. I questioned this with the landlord and was told that he could not afford to fit a split meter for the property so had never got round to it. I also talked to the shop owners and they agreed to pay roughly 70% of each bill as it was their usage, now this was fine untill a few months ago when the shop started to struggle for business and they stopped paying towards their share of the bills! They have now vacted the shop and ive been left with huge bills from SSE and Severn Trent :( Severn Trent have agreed to look into the matter and possibly fit a sub meter to the property and also agreed to backdate my bills based on my current usage so that im not paying for the extra usage (win!) but SSE are stubbornly sticking to the "its in your name and has been used so you are liable" What other actions can i take? a friend has told me to make a claim agasint the landlord through the courts for the excess charges but i just want to get my sahre of the bills paid off and stop any further increases!

It would in my opinion fall to the Landlord, you have been misled and deceived in to believing that your utilities were for your sole use, your friend is correct the claim in the county court.

This can be done via HMCTS Money Claim on line.

How much is the amount you would be claiming, if you have bills prior to the shop opening you can get a fair idea of what the4 figure is.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The latest bill i have received comes to £2452.67 which is mostly because my payments of £60 each month are still going on the account but nothing has come from the shop side for some time. I would estimate that my portion of this bill is around £400ish. Ive asked SSE to keep track of my usage over the next few months so that i can show what my average is and the CAB are giving me some advice on how to deal with the landlord side of it now :) seems the landlord isnt going to budge which may result in me moving out... but then agian the rent is a bit much so i guess its not all bad

Edited by mattyop
typo's

The LL is most definitely liable as he allowed this to happen with full knowledge of the consequences that would arise, a 'letter before action'' is the logical next move.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for the info, Ive just got back from the local CAB and they said the same thing and helped me draft the letter to the landlord, guess its just a waiting game now but I at least feel better about the process :)