Another Landlord Holding Deposit Cry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Folks

I’m in need of some advice in regard to the return of my deposit from a previous rented property. The landlord has used a local estate agent to manage the property so all my communication goes through them. I’ll try to keep things brief with this:

• Started tenancy in November 2007, agreement states that deposit of £495 is held in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme though we were not given any reference or scheme number;
  • Inventory states that carpets were soiled and tiles cracked prior to us moving in. Previous tenant had been there for six years so no idea how long floor was in that condition;
  • Gave six weeks’ notice and moved out of the property on 20th April 2013. Hired a cleaner for carpets and wiped down all the tiles as best as we could;
  • Estate agent/landlord inspection was done after we handed in our key, no response so assumed all was ok and landlord moved new tenants in a few days later. I later found out that the new tenants wanted new doors and stair banisters which the landlord had to pay for;
  • Enquired about the return of my deposit on 24th May and the estate agent told me the landlord isn’t happy with the conditions of the floor (no specifics) and is thinking about what to do.

Right now I suspect the landlord is using my deposit to cover the cost of the new doors and stair banisters. I’m quite annoyed because we (wife and I, no kids or pets) kept the place in immaculate condition and have never been behind with our rent or caused trouble. We thought he was a nice landlord until this nonsense! Could anyone suggest where we go from here please?

Hi

I’m not too sure what the redress scheme is but for what I know, this is a regular letting agent that has been handling the property for years.

On checking my mails I first enquired about the deposit on 11th May but didn’t get a response, then chased them up about it on the 18th May before finally getting an answer from them on the 24th.

Hope that helps as I’m at a loss on how to proceed, thank you for your time.

You first need to claim your deposit back from thr scheme direct, and they will contact the LL/LA ; any amount not in dispute must be paid to you within 10/14 days.

You acn either use the ADS scheme to sort out the deductions, which must be fair and take into account fair wear and tear; or you can take LL to court and judge will decide.

Note it is the LL that is responsable for deposit not agent.