If i pay Council Tax direct will my bill get paid or will Rossendales bailiffs receive money?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter from Rossendales bailiffs yesterday t say they're coming to my house in 24 hours t levy goods for an old council tax bill. Ive received no other letters from them and was unaware i owed the money. They are saying i owe them over £600 but when i rang the council the bill is only £280.

Ive asked the council if i can deal direct with them but they said i have t take it up with the bailiffs.

Ive rang the bailiff t set up a payment plan but he said they're unable to do that as he is a removal bailiff and its his job to levy goods.

I will have sufficient funds t pay the £280 on the 15th and i'm wondering if i pay the council direct and not the bailiffs will the council tax bill get paid or will it go to Rossendales?

I understand i will still owe Rossendales money if the council receives it but surely they wont be able to gain lawful access as i wont owe them for council tax?

Edited by Charlene2580

If you pay the council direct, they are unlikely to pass this on to Rossendales (I doubt whether it would be legal anyway).

It would be best to ask the council for written confirmation that your liability has been settled once you've paid.

They will of course say that you still owe the bailiff, but that would be between you and Rossendales – nothing to do with the council.

EDIT:

If you pay Rossendales, they will take their fees first, leaving you over £320 short on your CTAX bill.

Edited by outlawla

Did the letter come via Royal Mail or was it delivered by hand?

Im unsure. It was in a postage paid envelope but when i rang the Rossendales number the automated service said if i have received a hand delivered letter to ring the bailiffs mobile number direct.

When i looked at the letter the bailiffs mobile number was there but couldnt say if it was hand delivered or not.

Thats what i was hoping. Just want to make sure before i hand any money over.

If rossendales weren't trying to charge such a ridiculous amount i would sort it out with them but they're not trying to help me or themselves at all!

I hadn't even received any other letters from them. They said they visited my property last year which i find hard to believe or they would still be harassing me for the cash.

And even so.... over £300 for 1 visit and a letter is clearly unlawful!

I would strongly suspect that a bailiff will "claim " that a visit has been made and that he has therefore added a "levy fee" and almost certainly and "attending to remove fee".

Neither fee can be applied UNLESS a bailiff has PREVIOUSLY levied upon goods.

You need to ensure that you do NOT have a vehicle outside of your home and that you do NOT allow the bailiff entry into your home. Unless a "levy" is made, the fees that can legally be charged are CAPPED at £24.50

Call the bailiff company right now and say to them that you have received confirmation from the council that the debt passed to them is xxx and that they are demanding xxxx and ask why there is such a difference !!!

If you pay the council direct, they are unlikely to pass this on to Rossendales (I doubt whether it would be legal anyway).

It would be best to ask the council for written confirmation that your liability has been settled once you've paid.

They will of course say that you still owe the bailiff, but that would be between you and Rossendales – nothing to do with the council.

EDIT:

If you pay Rossendales, they will take their fees first, leaving you over £320 short on your CTAX bill.

Thats what i was hoping. Just want to make sure before i hand any money over.

If rossendales weren't trying to charge such a ridiculous amount i would sort it out with them but they're not trying to help me or themselves at all!

I hadn't even received any other letters from them. They said they visited my property last year which i find hard to believe or they would still be harassing me for the cash.

And even so.... over £300 for 1 visit and a letter is clearly unlawful!

The council are likely to continue saying you have to deal with the bailiff firm (including payment). You can however, pay the council regardless of any of this nonsense. Ask for them to put it in writing that they are refusing payment if they continue to.

In any event, payment direct (agreement or no agreement) through internet banking or via the council's website always trumps their refusal to accept payment once the account is with the bailiff. However, be cautious as payments made on-line may be allocated to the wrong account if you have more than one year's CTAX outstanding. If any doubt, specify which account your payment is allocated.

I would strongly suspect that a bailiff will "claim " that a visit has been made and that he has therefore added a "levy fee" and almost certainly and "attending to remove fee".

Neither fee can be applied UNLESS a bailiff has PREVIOUSLY levied upon goods.

You need to ensure that you do NOT have a vehicle outside of your home and that you do NOT allow the bailiff entry into your home. Unless a "levy" is made, the fees that can legally be charged are CAPPED at £24.50

Call the bailiff company right now and say to them that you have received confirmation from the council that the debt passed to them is xxx and that they are demanding xxxx and ask why there is such a difference !!!

Was just looking this up online :) Ill pay the council and the most i can owe the bailiffs is £50. Thats a massive weight off my mind! Been crying all morning thinking the contents of my house are going to get taken away from me! lol.

One point that needs to be made clear is that the statutory regulations regarding enforcement of a Liability Order specifically provide that from any payment made bailiff fees are FIRST deducted.

It is for this reason that I ALWAYS advise of the danger of paying the council direct UNLESS you have first established the PRECISE amount of the fees charged and why.

If Rossendales are "claiming" that a visit was made last year then they MUST provide details of the date. Also, unless a levy was made the fees that can be charged are CAPPED at £24.50 (for attending to levy where no levy was made).

If there is doubt that this particular visit was made, I would still suggest paying the fee of £24.50 and then making enquiries afterwards.

ALWAYS put your complaint in writing to the council and send a copy to Rossendales.

PS: If (which is doubtful) .. a levy was made last year then frankly...given the time that has elapsed, the bailiff has almost certainly abandoned the levy and the only fee payable is the fee of £24.50 as indicated.

Sorry...last point, with council tax the local authority are wholly responsible for a levy and any fees charged by their agents (Rossendales).

The council are likely to continue saying you have to deal with the bailiff firm (including payment). You can however, pay the council regardless of any of this nonsense. Ask for them to put it in writing that they are refusing payment if they continue to.

In any event, payment direct (agreement or no agreement) through internet banking or via the council's website always trumps their refusal to accept payment once the account is with the bailiff. However, be cautious as payments made on-line may be allocated to the wrong account if you have more than one year's CTAX outstanding. If any doubt, specify which account your payment is allocated.

Thanks very much. Seemed a bit odd to me that they would try and refuse money! Ive looked at bailiff charges and the most they can charge before a levy of goods is £42.50 for Council Tax so ill pay the council and can tell Rossendales to suck eggs :-D

Cant believe they are allowed to get away with trying to con people in such a way!! Im a housewife right now and if we were better off id of probably paid them the lot without dispute! So many peope must get conned by them in such a way! Makes me sick!! Thanks very much for your help :)