BT telephone line route fault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3950 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have broadband speed issue caused by the route provided to my telephone line by British Telecom.

I get a broadband speed of 1.4 meg download, my neighbours in the same area get speed of 2.4 to 3.0 meg download.

After complaints to BT they decline to do anything to provide me with the same service as my neighbours, My neighbours are 3 km from the exchange, My line is 6 km from the exchange, where does my line go between next door and here ? I pay for a service of up to 20 meg speed. BT provide me with a sub standard service. Is there anything I can do ?

phone and tell them you want to cancel

you'll get retentions then

and they should investigate it whilst crawling to keep you as a customer.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for reply, I will eventually move to another provider although as the problem is the actual routing of the telephone line

the broadband speed will remain substandard. I have complained to the BT executive complaints dept who informed me of the

route problem but refuse to do anything about it. I have offered to pay for a new line however they say they have no control

over the company responsible for installing a new line and advise any new line would merely split the current line on the same

route providing only a new telephone number with the same broadband issues. BT refuse to speak with this installation company

and refuse to allow me to do so regarding the route problem. It is a David and Goliath situation but I haven't got a sling :(

Well, for a little satisfaction you can always follow BT's complaints code located HERE

May not get you all you want, but at least someone will take you seriously... if they don't after 8 weeks you can escalate the complaint to ombudsman Services: Communications which will cost BT money to have the complaint looked at.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 2 months later...

One thing to bear in mind here if you switch providers. Unless your new provider puts there own copper/fibre into your house, you'll likely have the same issue if it's caused by the length of the line.

In reality I'd be very surprised if your line goes a different route from your neighbours line. Do you live in a very rural area by any chance?

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

This is a non-issue - you are getting the service. Speed is irrelevant, try telling someone in the Scottish Highlands that your broadband is slow!

BT can route the cables any way they want, your neighbour's speed is also irrelevant. Unfortunately you'll need to look at another connection method, or live with your speeds.

By day, computer and mobile phone technical support... by night home mechanic and Rover / MG enthusiast!

Cars: 1998 Rover 620ti

Computers: HP nc8430 Business Notebook, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Hi, Ty for info,

I do live semi rural, 9 miles from a major city.

I wrote to ombudsman who gave me a reference number, then never heard from them again.

I was able to speak to an Openreach telephone engineer who informed me the line was old and needed replacement.

also the two wires carrying the signal to my property were deteriorated and not carrying the signal well.

Other wires were available in the line which worked much better

however Openreach could not fix the problem without being given the job to do by BT. who decline to assist.

As BT have been granted several million pounds by the government to upgrade broadband connections

I have supplied all the info to the local M.P. who has contacted every user in the area affected and proposes to petition BT to provide the service for which they have been paid.

I hope something can be done.

• 1 month later...

Did you get anything out of this in the end.?

Mine was so poor then 3 months ago Infinity was offered in our area and my 0.5mbps on a good day service now runs at 38Mbps download and around 9Mbps upload,

I cannot tell you how happy I was.

I have heard of a new low cost satellite service coming soon so it may just be a ruddy waiting game here.

Hello,

Ty for reply, I have heard nothing yet from any source. I have read that BT are already 2 years

behind in the fibre broadband roll out which having suffered from BT customer service does nor surprise

me. It seems I will have to wait a while. It is fortunate I have friends who do possess a broadband connection so I carry my computer to there address and plug it in to download any large files. They do laugh when they see that third world countries have better broadband than I do. A friend has a contact who lives alone half way up a mountain in South Africa who complains he can only get a download speed of 4mb. I have enquired into the satellite broadband but there are conflicting reports over its reliability and as yet it is still expensive for the amount you can download. I note its prices and download

amounts are improving with competition. Will have to wait and see.

TY Steve