Curious Letter from Nemo re PPI complaint

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

In late 2006, my wife and I took out a loan from Nemo for c£23k with an up front PPI policy of around £6k thrown on top for good measure

(I don't have exact figures to hand just now).

We sold our property a year or so later and our solicitors paid off, from the proceeds, the loan,

PPI and six months interest (you know, like they do), which astonishingly totalled about £29,500.

A few things happened next:

• My wife had a breakdown after the close proximity death of both her parents
  • My own mother died
  • I presented a claim for my PPI in 2008
  • My claim was rejected with the usual 6 month Ombudsman notice
  • The stress of my wife's illness and my own coming to terms with the loss of my Mum meant I never followed it up

I later tried to go back to them to follow this up, only to be told that they had presented me with a final response and yadda, yadda, etc.

Now, I cannot recall the exact reasoning behind my initial complaint,

but it should be pointed out that I was and still am a Public Sector worker who would not have benefited from such a PPI at all,

i.e. my sickness benefits at work covered a period of illness up to 6 months, fully negating the PPI policy's benefits.

So, onto the subject title of the thread:

Today I received a letter from Nemo stating that they have been told by the FSA that:

...complaints which have been previously rejected should be reconsidered in light of new guidance they have issued.

Given that your complaint was received prior to this new guidance,

we are now offering you the opportunity to have your complaint reconsidered....etc...

Consequently it is possible that you may have suffered financial loss as a result of a potential mis-sale and therefore be entitled to redress.

Sounds good, yeah? But...

Do any Time Limits Apply?

You have a maximum of 6 months from the date of this letter to inform us that you would like us to reconsider your previous complaint.

Again, sounds good, just respond to them, but here's the kicker...

If you do ask us to re-open your complaint please note we may reject it without consideration of its merits if your request to reopen it is made more than 6 years after the sale of the PPI policy.

We may also reject your complaint without consideration of its merits if your request to reopen it is made more than 3 years after the date you became aware,

or ought to reasonably have become aware, of the grounds for complain - which we are taking as the date of your original complaint.

In consideration of the above, Nemo would make this assessment based on the latter of these two dates.

In these circumstances we may also object to the Financial Ombudsman Service considering your complaint.

So, from the timeline I described above, loan in 2006 and complaint in 2008, Nemo are saying they may reject it without consideration of its merits after 2012 or 2011 respectively.

Are they bluffing, and indeed hoping, that I decide not to pursue this further?

That response from them is almost taunting in its tone, we been told we have to reconsider but we will put in measures to make sure we dont need to it seems scandelous, you should send a copy to the FSA and ask thier position on this im sure thier guidance dosent allow for this,

jdene

I think they are trying it on. I will find one of the PPI guys to help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

the 3/6yrs does not retrospectively apply

they are taking bowlarks.

it only applies to those claims AFTER the ruling

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the responses.

It was my take on it that the date they have to work on is the date I lodge the claim and not their "delay you for a few years, then re-open it at our convenience" date, as they appear to suggest.

Anyway, they have asked me to sign and date an agreement for them to re-open the case (attached to the spiel above) which may imply agreement on my part to abide by their made up nonsense - my question now, therefore, is: should I write them a separate letter instructing them to re-open the case whilst also refuting their right to throw the claim out on their spurious basis, or simply return their form?

I'm inclined to go with my own letter with an addendum that I'm sending one to the FSA regarding them misleading me (again).

-pmcc

yes agreed the latter

they cant impose a retro time limit.

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Spoke to someone from the FCA who seems to be of the opinion that the three-year limitation (or the six) does indeed apply. Forgot to mention to him that the PPI was added to my loan agreement (with interest and all that jazz), which was also secured against my home, ie it was a mortgage.

So, is it 12 years, or does the Ombudsman's "one rule apparently fits all" guidance of 6 and 3 apply?

Thanks in advance.

it cannot be retro applied

your limit is 6 years as its not a mortgage agreement [says mortgage]

dx

and they

it cannot be retro applied

your limit is 6 years as its not a mortgage agreement [says mortgage]

dx

Mmm, might have to look at the agreement to check on that one. Does it have to state mortgage, I thought it only had to be secured against 'land property', which it was, i.e. a de facto mortgage?