Who are Smilefinance.co.uk ? They've just taken £26 from me...

jh7891
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was unsure which forum to post this in. I've previously posted on the forums in regard to my Pay Day Loan mess - which is on its way to being paid off now.

Anyway, this morning I had an automated call from my bank, and asked me to call their Fraud dept. I called them and they said £26 for Smile Finance had gone through. I have never heard of them or had any dealings with them. They appear to be a loan broker of some sort.

I worry as I have had someone hacking into my Pay Pal account before, obtaining my bank and card details (which the fraud dept know about). My card was cancelled when this happened, but I never changed bank accounts.

As I have a few payments going towards my repayment plans with the PDL's, the rep on the phone tried stating that I must have some dealing with them, due to other loan payments, despite me telling her that I don't!

I said I revoke any CPA with this company, as I don't know who they are, but of course she said they can't do that, and they can also apply for more if they wish! Despite me reading out the FSA guideline proving I was correct.

The bank said I need to contact smilefinance first before they would do anything, and if they have my details on file, there is nothing they could do, as I must've applied, but forgotten.

I'm so frustrated with this, as I don't know why my bank flat out refuses to act on a request to cancel a CPA - even when there shouldn't have been one in the first place! My bank said to wait until Tuesday until contacting their dispute dept, to give the website time to reply to me...I'm just worried in that time they will take more money.

smilefinance.co.uk don't have a telephone number, just an online contact form. Has anyone else had any contact with this operation and if so, any luck or a phone number?

Also, any tips on dealing with my stupid bank would be much appreciated :)

Kind regards

Edited by jh7891

Hi,

Looks like it's happening a lot...............

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/smilefinancecouk-took-pound2634-c660412.html

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

• 3 weeks later...

We are starting to see a lot of complaints about Smile Finance.

In some cases, people are saying that they contacted Smile Finance and were persuaded to give their bank card details.

Many other people say that they had no contact with Smile Finance at all and they don't understand how Smile Finance got their details.

If that is correct, then one is driven to conclude that some other company is sharing details over to Smile Finance.

Another company which seems to be connected with Smile Finance is Money Warehouse.

We have even heard from one lady who has had money taken from her account by both Smile Finance - and Money Warehouse.

The standard sum which seems to be taken by Smile Finance is £26.34.

If you have lost money to Smile Finance then contact Action Fraud - http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

You should aslo contact your bank and demand an immediate refund. The banks are obliged under FSA rules to refund any fraudulent transactions immediately - see the FSA know your rights guide.

However, the banks routinely ignore these rules because, of course, they don't care about you or anyone else or even their own reputations - as we all know.

The dispute department of Halifax refused to dispute this for me, stating that because I've used Pay Day loans before I must have used Smile Finance. Even having being so desperate to use PDL's in the past, I'd never pay money upfront for a loan which probably won't materialise, plus this company can only be contacted via an online form - which of course they never reply to. I was told by my bank to wait for a response from them before they would even consider doing anything.

The lady I spoke to said if she disputed the payment, because of my use PDL's in the past, the dispute would probably get refused, and she wouldn't listen to me, so I hung up, then complained via their online form.

The funny thing was when I told them the Continuous Payment Authority had to be removed, they said they couldn't do it, as they had taken a payment, they had authority to take whatever they were owed. I pointed out to them as I had never had any contact with this company, or bought anything from them, a CPA couldn't exist in the first place, so therefore nothing should need to be removed, just make sure it doesn't happen again.

The complaints team from Halifax called me, and said if you've enquired about any of these loans in the past, they can still share your info to other companies months afterwards. So there may be something in the small print which means they can get out of this, hence my bank not wanting to help.

In the end I got the £26.34 back and a £25 gratuity payment, and they advised me to contact Trading Standards, which I will do. I will also contact Action Fraud, and close this account as I worry they may try again.

I do find it worrying how banks are unwilling to help in these situations. It's also frustrating when I'm finally getting my finances in order, for money to be taken out of my account, and made to feel like trash from my bank. It seems that if I had a glowing credit score, and plenty of money in the bank they'd refund the money no questions asked!

EQI Independent Trading Ltd who trade as Money Warehouse and Smile Finance, don't seem to be authorised at the moment, according to the FSA Register online, although please correct me if I am wrong: https://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmBasicDetails.do;jsessionid=d117c87f70b44fba8973b14114ad8d95.s6fNml1Ka38InBbv-ArJrwTPoNCNa30Ocybtah0IaNuIahiIbh0IaNfwmxiInxiObk9ynhvybMSHc30Ka2aToi5hch0Na2TSn7bvq70KawTAqQ4InQXQ-BjF8NaQb3uPawbMnkrDqRfzqwbMnkrDqRfzqwbynknvrkLOlQzNp65In0__?sid=113273

Edited by jh7891

jh7891 - would you mind sending me an email to our admin email address with some contact details.

There might be a journo who would like to chat with you about this, if you are interested.

Put "smile" in the subject line

Ta

• 1 month later...

i myself have had the same problem smile finance took £26 and also there sister company money warehouse i told the bank but they dont want to know. i have tried ringing them but to no avail ive sent countless emails but nothing has ever got back

How accurate this list is,I do not know.It was copied from another site regarding Smile Finance.The article was dated 18/05/13,so it is recent.

Trading Name(s) (Current):

EQI Insurance

EQI Packaging

Money Warehouse

MyMoneyGroup

Mymoneygroup.Co.Uk

Niche Eqi Packaging

http://Www.24hr-Loans.Co.Uk

http://Www.Advance4u.Co.Uk

http://Www.Freshpay.Co.Uk

http://Www.Instantcarfinance.Co.Uk

http://Www.Midlandcash.Com

http://Www.Moneywarehouse.Co.uk

http://Www.Smilefinance.Co.Uk

http://Www.Thepaydaypingtree.Co.Uk

Trading Name(s) (Historic):

Blue Bear Mortgages and Insurance

Checking the CCL number,the name Buddy Loans also comes up.

From the Smile Finance site,"100% Refund if you're not happy".

A number that I have found on a site dated 10/06/13 is 0844 482 2383.

Or you might to try this number, 0161 486 4800 ,it puts you through to My Money Group.I have tried it at 03.20 this morning.

From the T/C's of EQI Independent,

We charge a fee up to £27.31 for providing the service of acting as a finance broker. By proceeding with your application you are agreeing to pay our processing fee. We specify the fee as part of our communications with You. Refunds must be requested in writing at customerservice@MoneyWarehouse.co.uk to avoid repayments being sent to a wrong address. In the event that your card is declined, we will attempt to take payment on that same card as many times as we desire for up to and including 62 days after you made your application. If you wish us to stop trying your card please inform us by post or email.

6. Cancellation

Under the Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004 you have a right to cancel your application within 14 days of receiving these terms and conditions and receive a refund. If You wish to cancel your application, You must write to us. In this event We will refund your fee within 7 days of the date on which We receive your written request to cancel your application. Any such requests should be made to: MoneyWarehouse, Metropolitan House Station Road, Cheadle Hulme, Cheadle, Cheshire, United Kingdom SK8 7AZ.

Regards,John.

Edited by JOHNINYORK

• 2 weeks later...

I recently discovered I have had the £26 taken from my credit card. Extremely angry. Sent them a rather blunt email saying unless it was refunded, I would be contacting the police immediately.

That was 2 days ago. Today I got an email with a refund form.

Edited by ims21

You must still get in touch with actionfraud. DOnt give them an excuse to wriggle free. As youve seen, it is very obvious they are doing this on a massive scale, so EVERYONE needs to make a full report, regardless of if you get your refund or not.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Would just like to say thank you to the forum. In the last week moneywarehouse and smilefinance both took money from my current account with natwest and luckily this was the first link i clicked complaining about them. I told natwest what had happened and that eqi insurance was not authorised to take money by the fsa. This worked as i got an instant decision and the £53 odd will be back in my account by 10am tomorrow morning. Thank you to jh7891 and the others that supplied information, is much appreciated.

Hi regando. Please make sure you put it in writing to the bank that you want any transactions to those companies blocked. You also need confirmation in writing that the bank has followed your instructions.

Also, please get a full complaint in to the OFT. Don't think others will so you don't have to. Every single report helps towards getting these con artists closed down.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Got my £26.34 refunded from Smile Finance today.

If anyone else is having issues with them, I suggest a strongly worded email saying how the money was stolen, and that you will be contacting the police to report it as an act of fraud. They'll send an automated email with a refund form back, which I wrote the same strongly worded reason for the refund. Make sure you send this back by recorded delivery.

That worked for me. Hope you get it sorted. I'd also advise changing account numbers etc. It's a pain, but these companies are spreading peoples bank & cc details around, so it could happen again.

(I have still reported them to the police)

Rich

You must still get in touch with actionfraud. DOnt give them an excuse to wriggle free. As youve seen, it is very obvious they are doing this on a massive scale, so EVERYONE needs to make a full report, regardless of if you get your refund or not.

I have reported it to Actionfraud, and also to Cheshire police. I am also in the process of reporting it to the Financial Services Authority.

Hi all,

I was unsure which forum to post this in. I've previously posted on the forums in regard to my Pay Day Loan mess - which is on its way to being paid off now.

Anyway, this morning I had an automated call from my bank, and asked me to call their Fraud dept. I called them and they said £26 for Smile Finance had gone through. I have never heard of them or had any dealings with them. They appear to be a loan broker of some sort.

I worry as I have had someone hacking into my Pay Pal account before, obtaining my bank and card details (which the fraud dept know about). My card was cancelled when this happened, but I never changed bank accounts.

As I have a few payments going towards my repayment plans with the PDL's, the rep on the phone tried stating that I must have some dealing with them, due to other loan payments, despite me telling her that I don't!

I said I revoke any CPA with this company, as I don't know who they are, but of course she said they can't do that, and they can also apply for more if they wish! Despite me reading out the FSA guideline proving I was correct.

The bank said I need to contact smilefinance first before they would do anything, and if they have my details on file, there is nothing they could do, as I must've applied, but forgotten.

I'm so frustrated with this, as I don't know why my bank flat out refuses to act on a request to cancel a CPA - even when there shouldn't have been one in the first place! My bank said to wait until Tuesday until contacting their dispute dept, to give the website time to reply to me...I'm just worried in that time they will take more money.

smilefinance.co.uk don't have a telephone number, just an online contact form. Has anyone else had any contact with this operation and if so, any luck or a phone number?

Also, any tips on dealing with my stupid bank would be much appreciated :)

Kind regards

smile finance. what a name. they are based in Cheadle, Stockport, Cheshire. there phone number is 08447391162

i myself have had the same problem smile finance took £26 and also there sister company money warehouse i told the bank but they dont want to know. i have tried ringing them but to no avail ive sent countless emails but nothing has ever got back

Hi, the same happened to me on 24th Aug. This company is not legit. Their phone number is automated as is their email system. I have contacted my bank (Natwest), and explained what has happened. They will be refunding my money today by 6pm. Contact your bank, this is the best way to get a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

People I think I am about to become your Knight in white armour. I have just got a refund from Smilefinance and Moneywarehouse by ringing this number 08006906860. Its their direct number which Yorkshire Bank gave me. Dive in and get your money :)

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this so please bare with me.

Today Smilefinance took £26.34 from my bank. Like the rest of you I have had no dealings with this company,or any idea of who they where.

After putting in a google search I found this page and I am so pleased that I did.

PLEASE EVERYONE CALL THE NUMBER THAT ANDYCROOKES PUT ON HIS THREAD !!

THIS TELEPHONE NUMBER IS : 08006906860

It is a direct number and an actual person answers the phone !! Not only that but after explaining that the company had stolen from me and that I was going to involve the police,

The said actual person apologised and stated that there was an open account with them. She confirmed that this was now closed and that no later than Thursday this week I would receive a full refund !

A huge thank you to AndyCrookes for the number.

£26.34 is a lot of money on the small budget that I have. These companies are stealing from so many people and it is so unfair.

So please please get your money back with the above phone number. Good Luck

P.S. Andy Crookes You are the Knight in shining armour thank you

You still need to make those complaints. Don't let it go simply because they refunded you when you told them youw ere going to take legal action.

• 3 weeks later...
Try this number. 0161 486 4800

And why would anyone want to try that number ?

Because I was in the same situation and that's the number I have managed to get from them!

They have emailed it to me.

And have you had a refund from them ?

Not yet. Been waiting for over two weeks now

I got a Debt Management Company when I phoned that number.