• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I currently have some on going issues with homebuy but I've been getting nowhere making complaints via their contact details online.

Lorraine the supervisor is never in the office and the only person above her the telephone people tell me is Julie.

They are 'not allowed' to give me her last name but a quick search on the Internet gives the name Julie driver as director.

So I've this morning rang the office and told a little white lie, I called myself a trader ( well I do trade on eBay :p) and my lie worked

So if anyone is unfortunate enough to hold an account with homebuy and your getting nowhere phoning in and writing in

J.driver@homebuygroup.com is the email address of the registered director.

Hope it helps some of you

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Homebuy are in what they call run off where they are just collecting as much money as they can from the remaining customers. Julie Driver is in charge of this project on behalf of the banks who used to fund it. There will be very little come back from them if any at all as most of the staff have been let go. They wont be taking anybody to court for non payment that is a sure thing but that is the same for all of these types of businesses. Most of the agreements will be UN enforceable due to errors on completion etc but none of them actually take customers to court. Some of them sell some of the debts and the new buyer may be a bit more tenacious?

• 4 weeks later...

homebuy it seems havent a clue what they are saying and i was just after some advice

spoke to julie driver back in january.......she passes it on to lorraine

lorraine never calls back. next thing "account in arrears we are coming to remove goods" letter thru the doors. there is only about 24 weeks left on agreement!

so this morning i ring back and ask to speak to a christoper simpson who is named on the letters

"sorry hes not in the office today"

now being completely unbelieving of homebuy and those who answer the phones i telephone back and ask for him again

"you cant speak to christopher simpson as he does not answer calls. and he does not have an email address either but someone else will call you back"

so lorraine calls back....

loirraine then tells me their is no christopher simpson hes just a computer and i can only speak to her.

I asked lorraine for a address that we could post our subject access request off to but lorraine just keeps telling me they dont provide these and they dont have to provide these.

am i right in saying they have to answer my subject access request

we dont want it to get out of the contract. we are more interested in the notes etc that have been made on their system. but ive got a feeling alot of these will be removed.

who can i complain to about the way this company operates. its an absolute mess!! ive asked previously about their complaints procedure just to be told "oh we make a list then give it to the boss at the end of the week"

jokers!! any advice greatfully received. thanks

• 1 month later...

Good morning.

For years we were customers of homebuy....the white goods place

They come and attach a box to your tv and then empty it each month

Since we joined homebuy have gone through many directors and company names etc.

We began to have issues with homebuy back in january of this year. Customer service shocking. We then found that we would be paying off our goods for a lot longer than what we had signed for....even tho the telly box had been over filled by us nearly every month so payments were never short.

Then we discover that a account had been re-scheduled. We then asked for copys of our accounts and agreements. All turn up apart from this re-scheduling agreement.

So after a week of calls i finally manage to lie and get put thru to the company director. Julie driver.

We explain all the problems then julie says oh we will cancel your optional maintenence cover and be in touch about getting the account back on track.

Nobody calls and then theres another letter thru the door. About arrears. The letter is from the recovwry department and a christopher simpson. But christopher simpson does not exist. In fact the only people you are able to talk to within homebuy are the untrained call centre staff who have no idea what you are talking about 99.9% of the time.

I then speak to julie driver again who tells me that she will do a sar requesr fee free. This does not arrive.

So today another letter thru the door.

In this letter it states we are to

Contact homebuy within 7 days to arrange collection of our goods. You are also liable for paument of the balance of the total amount payable which equals tje sum of £202.28.

Now im sure they cant take both? The goods AND the money. Also the agreement is over 2/3 paid.

This letter has come with no agreement number on it and again signed by a me christopher simpson.

I ring homebuy and ask to speak to him. They seem to show great delight in putting me on hold trying to find him! But he dosent exist.

So i tell pauline to stop messing me about now and could i please speak to julie driver, the director. She informs me she is paid to speak to customers and julie driver does not under any circumstances answer calls.

So i inform her that jm sure she will speak to me she has on occasions.

At this point pauline puts me on hold.....well she thinks she has.

Pauline is the calling me a ****ing ********. Apparently i think im clever and its the ****ing Blank* account again and im a arrogant little BLANKTY BLANK

Oh how lovely.

Now do these calls have to be recorded. Am i able to get copys of calls. I dont want to deal with these disrespectful bunch anymore. But if it goes to court i want to be able to show the judge EXACTLY why.

Going forward with this a few questions.

Can they take it back and ask for money

If i forward a sar to homebuy what can i expect to receive back

If the re-scheduling contract does not materialise what can be done about it

Thankyou

Good evening. I write to ask you good people for some advice whilst dealing with homebuy.

Im A 7 year customer of homebuy and in december/january ings all went wrong.

We made a customer complaint and that lead to us discovering that we would be paying off our account longer than the term we agreed to.

We also discovered that we had apparently signed up for re-scheduling of the account tho the contract for this can not be found by homebuy.

We then complain direct to the director of homebuy and she actually calls to apologise and says she will cancel the optional care on our items as a good will gesture. Julie driver the director twlls us that she will work out the sums payable and be in touch......that never happens.

Fast forward to today and we get a letter frkm homebuy. This is a letter with the agreement number left blank and it states the following - -

Your agreement has been terminated in accordance with clause 9.1

This means that the products listed under the above agreement are in your possesion without our consent and in accordace with the terms of the agreement you must return the goods.

Will you therefore contact us within 7 days to arrange collection of our goods. You are also liable for payment of the balance of the total amount payable which equals thw sum of 202.28

We then telephoned homebuy (maybe a big mistake) and asked to speak to the person named on the letter....a mr christopher simpson. But we could not speak to him as he does not exist.

Then a bit of a argument began when we told them no they cannot collect the goods as over a third had been payed.

Then pauline at homebuy attempts to put me on hold.....and fails

She is then heard calling me a fing bottom hole (swap for naighty words) and a arogant blankty blank! Lovely. I then inform pauline of her mistake and i get passed to a equally rude lorraine!

Loreaine goes on saying how she will deal with this. I dont have much hope. Then she tells me she will call me back later.

But she does not call me back. She calls my partner off her personal mobile number and twlls him how she will not speak to me and how we will not call the director again as its nothing to do with her. Lovely!!

So should she be doing this? My partners a bit concerned as to who and what this phone number could be ised for being on her mobile phone log.

Also are they allowed to also ask for the monies AND the products

Who can i complain to about the way this company is run. a debt recovery manager on paper yet one does not exist.

Am i allowed copys of the phone call......in paticular the one they admit was caught on tape....as they say it breaches thwir staffs data protection to let me have this

Any help would be greatfully received

sev threads merged on same issue

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good evening. I write to ask you good people for some advice whilst dealing with homebuy.

Im A 7 year customer of homebuy and in december/january ings all went wrong.

We made a customer complaint and that lead to us discovering that we would be paying off our account longer than the term we agreed to.

We also discovered that we had apparently signed up for re-scheduling of the account tho the contract for this can not be found by homebuy.

We then complain direct to the director of homebuy and she actually calls to apologise and says she will cancel the optional care on our items as a good will gesture. Julie driver the director twlls us that she will work out the sums payable and be in touch......that never happens.

Fast forward to today and we get a letter frkm homebuy. This is a letter with the agreement number left blank and it states the following - -

Your agreement has been terminated in accordance with clause 9.1

This means that the products listed under the above agreement are in your possesion without our consent and in accordace with the terms of the agreement you must return the goods.

Will you therefore contact us within 7 days to arrange collection of our goods. You are also liable for payment of the balance of the total amount payable which equals thw sum of 202.28

We then telephoned homebuy (maybe a big mistake) and asked to speak to the person named on the letter....a mr christopher simpson. But we could not speak to him as he does not exist.

Then a bit of a argument began when we told them no they cannot collect the goods as over a third had been payed.

Then pauline at homebuy attempts to put me on hold.....and fails

She is then heard calling me a fing bottom hole (swap for naighty words) and a arogant blankty blank! Lovely. I then inform pauline of her mistake and i get passed to a equally rude lorraine!

Loreaine goes on saying how she will deal with this. I dont have much hope. Then she tells me she will call me back later.

But she does not call me back. She calls my partner off her personal mobile number and twlls him how she will not speak to me and how we will not call the director again as its nothing to do with her. Lovely!!

So should she be doing this? My partners a bit concerned as to who and what this phone number could be ised for being on her mobile phone log.

Also are they allowed to also ask for the monies AND the products

Who can i complain to about the way this company is run. a debt recovery manager on paper yet one does not exist.

Am i allowed copys of the phone call......in paticular the one they admit was caught on tape....as they say it breaches thwir staffs data protection to let me have this

Any help would be greatfully received

yes you are

I would SAR them

and I would make a serious complain to the CEO.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well this morning i received a letter from homebuy

They state that all communications have broken down and they are writing off what is owed under the agreement

I still do not think this company should be running in any shape or form. Who do i put a complaint in to?

Ive spoken to the company director, julie driver, via email and telephone.

She seems somewhat uninterested.

Tho im unsure if its my email complaint last week about the lovely pauline or the fact i was somewhat concerned about the call off a personal mobile number from lorraine.

I mean who knows what she could do with my num er now its stored on the phones memory. Surely thia breaches some sort of data protection.