fine paid but Philips issue Distress warrant for fees, clarification needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In brief,

late paying a magistrates fine.

Contacted fines office got the brush off,

" nothing we can do mate

notice of distress issued

you must deal with the bailiffs ( Philips ).

Go to local court ,

same story

you cannot go in front of a Magistrate to explain situation as Distress notice issued.

Give the fines office a ring see what they can do !

So I am at the mercy of Philips,

if I do not agree to their terms I am snookered.

They could pluck any figure out of the air for me to pay back monthly.

If I am not happy do I accept their terms ?

Or what is the next course of action

Due to a change of addressl warning letter went to old add,

The fine amount oustanding £300. I

went through the story and discussed the options with the clerk at the court along with half a dozen other people waiting in the queue.

All I got was sorry nothing we can do talk to the fines office.

Asked to speak to supervisor, same story we cannot help

If they issued the Further Steps Notice and it is gone to an old address you therefore had no chance of complying with it. You need to impress this on them as receipt of this Notice is a legal requirement. You probably need to speak to the Court Manager or Enforcement Manager.

Have you actually now paid your fine despite it being paid late?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your prompt reply, Yes I am still paying. I was at the desk trying to keep calm , as stated got to talk to the supervisor but it seems the fines office trump the magistrates, plenty of we are sorry but hands are tied. If I could bypass the front desk and get to a Magistrate somehow. Absail down from the roof in a James Bond style!

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon all,

Finally paid off my fine but Philips want their pound of flesh . My question is can they use the distress warrant legally to collect their fees ? The London fines office SW1 seem to think so . The distress warrant runs out in two weeks anyway. Incidentally from their unhelpful attitude on the phone I assumed that they had been outsourced to a bailiff co but when asked the phone jockey said that they work alongside the bailiffs ? So the bailiffs do not work for them. What do you make of that ?

Thanks in advance

Fulhamboy

Fulhamboy

My reading is that once you have settled the relevant sum with the court, that there is no legal/court procedure for the bailiff to recover their fees, unless you have some form of agreement directly with the bailiff. e.g you have let them in your house and signed an agreement with them to pay the court fine.

There are some great baliff help sites online that go through all of the legal aspects to this, citing legislation and court precedents. I just googled bailiff fees after distress warrant paid and found loads of information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread