Norwegian Tax Demand and UK Tax Records

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4123 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I got a tax demand from Norway today, demanding payment of tax from the years 2001 to 2006, or they will make an attachment to earnings.

I only worked and lived in Norway from Nov 2001 to April 2003 and tax was taken of my wages by my employer. Pre Nov 2001 I was living and working in the UK paying tax PAYE and making visits to Norway every 2 or 3 weeks. From May 2003 I live back in the UK unemployed until Sep and then started paying UK tax PAYE.

My Questions are How can I prove that I paid UK tax for these years as it is over 6 years ago and tax records are only kept for 5 years 10 months, and can the Norwegian tax office chase me for tax from over 6 years ago, and do anything to get money from me in the UK? As I am not sure how I can prove to them that I don't owe them any Tax.

Many Thanks,

Stephen

I was unemployed in the UK from May 2003 till Sept 2003 not sure how I can prove this, I was then working in the UK fro 27 Sep 2003 paying PAYE tax and have been ever since. I may have a P60 for 2003 but it will only show tax and employment from the Sep 2003.

If you signed on as unemployed the DWP should have records of it.

Have you written to the Norwegian tax authorities giving a time frame when you were there?

Because of the statute of limitations they would only be able to claim from 2003 in any case & if you can show that you were working in the UK then it would void their claim.