11yrs old child & T Mobile & lottobytext Text charges ***Refunded by T-Mobile***

Isiris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I decided to put my son on a Monthly SIm only contract on his phone as he was topping it up to £20-£30 a month and I got one for £11.50 from T Mobile.

I have just got the bill and he has been charge £27.30 for text messages from a lottery syndicate where they had been charging upto £5 per text.

He is 11

I asked him what happened and he said he tried to download some wallpaper on his laptop and a page came up that he couldnt close until he entered his mobile number. Being naieve he did and thats when it started.

What can I do.

Thanks

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

I'm afraid you will probably have more of this to come.

Unless you can get you son to understand not to agree to anything that may appear.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Ask the network to bar any and all "premium rate" services (text or voice).

An alternative where you want the advantages of a contract's inclusive minutes / texts but no surprises re: bills is a "capped contract"

T-mobile led the way initially with "U-fix" though I've not seen these actively promoted by the (Orange/T-mobile merged) EE network.

Tesco mobile actively promote their option for a "capped contract" : you can ask your (network) provider if they offer this as an option or if they can set a £0 credit limit.

The latter (£0 credit limit) might leave the handset unable to make calls once the allowance has been reached.

At least with U-fix / "capped contract" then calls / texts can be made on a PAYG basis once the inclusive minutes / texts are used up.

• Haha 1

Bazzas, thanks for your advice. The other 2, glad you find some humour out of this because Im struggling.

Can anyone advise if an 11 year old can agree to enter into a gambling contract?

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Sorry Isiris.

I think the simple answer is 'YOU' entered into the contract and gave the phone you your son.

We have a fantastic vodaphone rep who may be able to advise on the contractual issues and I will ask him to look in (I assume the Phone companies have the same sort of contracts)

Once again I apologise for the silly response earlier.

The best bit to start off with is get the number changed. Since the number is on the lottery syndicate it will continue to send texts and you shall get charged.

Its one of many [problem]s out there. This is just the stepping stone it will get worse.

It is likely that your sons number will be passed around to other [problem]mers who will contact regarding bogus "unbelieveable" attractive offers. This indulges in nothing but wasting your own hard cash for no gain.

Tip: if the internet browser will not close and constantly show some form where you got to fill out details of payments or your details, you need to force it to close - 2 ways of doing this:

1) Press control, alt and delete keys together - and when menu pops up choose task manager and force close the open explorer window.

2) Or you can use the power button to turn it off.

There is a lot of spyware/[problem]ware out there that people aren't aware of - its nothing but a bunch of lies.

Regards.

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

The contract in question is the contract with the lottery syndicate.

Who are they?

This kind of thing happens too often and I suppose that a problem is that in the end, the amounts are so small that people just decide to "learn the lesson" for the future.

I would consider taking an action against the lottery company. I'll bet they would just settle up.

Hi Isiris,

Firstly, as recommended by BazzaS I ask your network provider to place a premium rate message restriction on the service to prevent any further charges from being inadvertently incurred.

In addition, I'd suggest contacting the text message provider in question to explain the circumstances under which these charges have been incurred and ask if they could refund them as a goodwill gesture.

Failing this could ask for further assistance from the regulator for premium rate service PhonepayPlus here.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Thanks Lee

Tmobile have been brilliant. Blocked the numbers as suggested. Got three different services that have text. Got contact numbers, email addresses and website addresses for the companies. The emails are on their way.

To be honest, I wont be asking for a refund as a goodwill gesture as he is 11.

I'd agree with the recommendation that the number be changed. As has been said it's likely that the number will now be sold on/passed around to start receiving spam texts from other services as well, with or without being charged for them.

I decided to put my son on a Monthly SIm only contract on his phone as he was topping it up to £20-£30 a month and I got one for £11.50 from T Mobile.

I have just got the bill and he has been charge £27.30 for text messages from a lottery syndicate where they had been charging upto £5 per text.

He is 11

I asked him what happened and he said he tried to download some wallpaper on his laptop and a page came up that he couldnt close until he entered his mobile number. Being naieve he did and thats when it started.

http://www.lottobytext.co.uk/

I believe the above is the company looking at the texts.

Marketing Craze Limited/lottobytext uses affiliate marketers to promote their service and acquire new 'customers'(mobile phone numbers). Marketing Craze pays their affiliates for each customer they acquire.

As far as I understand UK consumer Law there is no legal agreement between you and Marketing Craze. Irrespective of your son's age somebody entering your mobile phone number on the internet does not constitute a legal sales agreement.

On 06 December 2012 Marketing Craze/Lottobytext was fined £250,000 for this type of swindle.

http://www.phonepayplus-services.org.uk/output/search-adjudications.aspx

Thanks Lee

Tmobile have been brilliant. Blocked the numbers as suggested. Got three different services that have text. Got contact numbers, email addresses and website addresses for the companies. The emails are on their way.

Thank you for your thanks (higher up the thread).

I missed that this was t-mobile : is it worth asking them if this could be moved into a u-fix contract or u-fix SIM only contract of the same term / similar monthly payment?

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/you-fix/plans/

You might get less inclusive minutes per month than your current plan, but

a) your liability would be fixed to the monthly fee, and

b) you'd still get some inclusive minutes? (and the unlimited texts)

Tell your son that whenever he is required to enter a mobile number, he can put in a random number (or 999 maybe)

Given that anyone could have done that, hopefully you won't have too much trouble getting your money back, so long as they haven't done a runner

Thanks Lee

You're welcome Isiris.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Many thanks Lee in helping to resolve this.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Just and update.

Cheque received today for full amount.

Thanks again

Result Isiris.....:thumb: Thread title amended.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to 11yrs old child & T Mobile & lottobytext Text charges ***Refunded by T-Mobile***