DLA from age 16+

fran1phil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son, has ~ADHD & ASD and now, devloped Conduct Disorder, age 16 (16 in April)

DWP have contacted me to arrange an appointment to visit myself and my son at c home, to establish if my son will be having his DLA paid directly to him or if I should remain his appointee.

My problem with that is, if they speak to us together - my son will become acutely aware of his possibly having as much as £250 per month in his hand - for which he will be determined to have it paid directly to him.

Unfortunately, owing to his immaturity and being very vulnerable and easily influenced - that amount of money in his hands could be lethal or set him up to be exploited or likely to be invested in cannabis/cigarettes.

Whilst I could say all of this to the DWP visitor, my son will detest me and life could become extremely awkward if not uncomfortable, in fact it would drive a wedge between an already fragile and difficult relationship.

I have no problem with him having the money (indirectly) - but access directly has all sorts of implications for my son. (He does not perceive himself as having these 'deficits' in his character.

Is there any way that I could have this 'procedure' overlooked under the circumstances?

Many thanks for any help anybody can give.

Nadia

Hi Nadia,

You could have a quiet word when they turn up and explain, I had to to do that and they were fine bit I was Lucky my son admitted he was useless with money. I'm still his appointee now and he's 21.

Just be aware if he has to sign on in the future. And u are his appointee you have to attend all meetings sign ins etc.