Welcome/MKRR - Fake Payments?

idlewildered
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4186 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took a loan out back in 2004 via Welcome which I believed was paid off by 2006 and have moved several times since, including out of the country for a period of time due to work.

For the last week I have been plagued by calls at work by MKRR trying to tell me I have a £4000 odd debt to be paid which I am of course not in a position to do.

As I live in Scotland, debts are extinguished after five years, so even if I have, and I still dispute this, as unsettled Welcome debt, it should no longer be able to be pursued.

I am loathe to entertain any discourse with this shower of yahoos but in order to find out what was going on I spoke to them to gain the salient facts which included them stating that there was a payment made in 2008, which is definitely not the case.

Is there a history of this type of thing happening in that fake payments are made to keep an account active?

Yes we have seen this before, many times.

If your last payment or acknowledgement in writing was deffo in 2006 then it is SB in Scotland (as you say) but also in a couple of weeks time it will be SB in England too.

It is for them to prove that this is not SB so I would write to them and tell them that they must provide you with full details of this alleged payment given the exact date, the source etc.

If it was by cheque you want to know the drawing bank, the name of the drawer, the cheque number and sort code. If by card you want the details of the card i.e. card type, the number and the name of the person who made the payment and you want hard copy evidence.

Also the exact amount actually paid.

Make sure you start the letter off using the words "I do not acknowledge any debt or liability to your company or any other that you claim to represent"

If they can't provide this information then you can send them the SB letter which you can find in the CAG library.

Is there a Scottish version at all? With SB not existing here in the same form I'm concerned about getting it wrong. Having double checked, the last (and final) payment I made was in person in 2005, with zero contact since. Well certainly not received by me as I moved a few times after that.

Do I write to MKRR or Welcome or what?

Thanks very much for your help, phenomenal site.

Hi

If MKRR are collecting and they have told you that a payment was made in 2008 then it is they who you get to prove the payment.

I wouldn't send the SB letter yet, just the query for the proof of this alleged payment.

Don't forget the bit about "I do not acknowledge....."