Prosecuted by Southern! Need help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, guys I got caught with a child travel ticket. I haven't received any letter and all of a sudden get a letter saying i had a court date in 5 days, its now down to 4 days away if i get a conviction i am screwed! I am going to start training for a paramedic job and this small thing will stop me from doing what i want to do!

I have tryed conacting them but there numbers dont work. Can someone advise me? can i settle out of court only a few days from the date of the court?? will it affect my application for a paramedic.

As above (post #2). You will not get accurate advice unless you post up exactly what you have been charged with - it will be in the letter you received. Including the legal stuff. Act this and section that.

From what you have posted so far you are up for a strict liability offence that will get you a criminal record.

You can offer to settle the matter administratively with Southern right up until the court date. They don't have to accept and it'll likely cost around £150, but will see the case withdrawn at least. I'd usually suggest writing a letter of apology, but it's a little late in the day now, so all I can suggest is calling the Prosecutions team to discus the matter. The offence of travelling on a child rate ticket is usually contrary to s.5(3)a of the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. This offence in laymans terms means proves intent to avoid payment of the correct rail fare, and Adult on a child ticket is easy enough to prove usually. This is a recordable offence on the Police National Computer.

Tell Southern about your career aspirations and apologise profusely. If they refuse your settlement over the phone, I suggest you attend court on the day with a view of trying again, with your chequebook handy! Worst case scenario, you'll have a conviction, and in this day and age, such organisations as the Ambulance Service are liberal in their viewing of candidates with such convictions as long as you declare them so as not to bring your integrity in to question.

Good luck.

Edited by Stigy
  • Haha 1