• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

twoofus v YB ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It really depends on the judge, but if they didn't submit a bundle or turn up in court they would more than likely lose by default. Not really worth speculating though as it won't happen.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hils,

No progress as YB have not sent us their court bundle yet.

I tried to ring the court today but they were closed, but i will be ringing them first thing in the morning.;)

My YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Joint YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 09/02/07: LBA 17/02/07

My FD account: Settled

Wifes FD account: Settled

Don't hold your breath.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Phoned the court yesterday, thats Wednesday to you Hils;) and they haven't received YB's bundle. They said pretty much what Caro said they would (not that I ever doubted her knowledge......show off.lol :rolleyes: ).

Basically, its down to the judge, we can send a letter to him telling him we haven't received it and he can:-

A) Send them a letter telling them to get one sent in.

B) Make a Judgement

C) Delay the hearing until we receive it although they said this is unlikely as they are very busy.

If it gets to the day and we turn up and they do with their bundle we could request an ajournment on the grounds we haven't had time to look at their bundle, or, he could again make an instant judgement as they haven't complied with the courts request.

Looks like it could go the whole way though as even if they sent a cheque in morning for the full amount the cheque may only just clear before the court date. If it takes 5 working days then Monday would probably be the latest we could receive it to stop our day at court. Here's hoping :D

Wifes YB account: S.A.R. 11/10/06: Prelim 23/11/06: LBA 27/11/06: Offer Rejection 17/12/06: MCOL 09/02/07

Its 12th June mate. That will be 9months to the day since we started:eek:

Mine's in 6 days and heard nothing from YB so looks like I'll be going to court on the day :rolleyes: Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions

I'll keep a close watch on what happens with you as you're a week before us. Likewise, fingers crossed for you.

Good luck

I'm from Hull and I have just sat and watched our local news program, LookNorth, on BBC 1 with shock and amazement. :o

It stated that a Hull judge ( name was something like Besford, sorry didn't catch his name properly as I was in shock) has said that as of July 4th he is going to throw 20 bank charge cases out with reference to the Lloyds case in Birmingham. He is not even going to hear the cases. :-x

Did anyone else see it. Surely he can't do this, surely we have a right to have our cases heard, I thought thats what the small claims court was for so that us 'Minnows' can challenge the rich without the costs. :?

the site is aware of this and are working on it. they are asking for details of anyone else who is due up in this court to get in touch.

There are comments on a "sticky" thread in Lloyds.

janus

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I don't know how I've missed this, i'm always on this bloody site and I'm from Hull so normally notice anything to do with the place.

I just had a 5 minute panic but I should have known that the CAG gang would have it in hand, as you know my wifes claim is at the Hull court on 14th June so its not affected but I have a claim waiting aswell so got a bit flappy about that.

Bloody BBC, whether its TV or Radio they never get the whole story right, gits.

Found this aswell Judge to strike out bank claims

Thanks Guys, I've stopped palpitating now

You gave me a fright for a moment twoofus. I forgot you are from Hull but thank goodness your YB claim is unaffected. Didn't your judge use the draft directions.

To be honest Caro we don't bloody know, we just got a letter with a court date on it but in the draft it asks for 1 hour but he has put 3 hours aside so probably not.

My worry is that we have another 2 claims waiting at MCOL stage, we wanted to take one through the court process first to get our bearings before we did the other 2 but depending what this bloody judge does it could knacker those 2 up. How can he do it without taking each case on its merits, only in bloody Hull!!

;) calm down dear, you are getting yourself in a right old tiz. And heres me without any idea of even what day it is. If you read the thread that has the report from the Austrailia Bank you will see they report in black and white that because of the reduction in BANK CHARGES their profits are down. We have them bang to right s I think Hils

Guys sorry to but in form NatWest side but would you consider doing the return on the Bank. Do you get a CPR18 request asking for more info. If so the response in your cases in Hull to put this judge in his place is to send a CPR 18 requesting information I have put the words I used belowNOTE – IMPORTANT1. This request is served pursuant to CPR Part 18 alternatively to CPR Rule 27.2(3)2. The reason's) why this request has been served are set out in the claimants case which has been served on the plaintiff.3. You are asked to provide a response to this request in accordance with CPR 19 by 15th June 20074. In the event that you do not provide an adequate response to this request by this date then the plaintiff can apply to the court for an order requiring you to provide the information requested an order to striking out the Defence. The RequestThe Defendant shall, by the 15 June 2007 thereafter file and serve a response to the Claimant's schedule, stating in respect of each item claimed; The attached schedule lists the charges that the claimant is claiming form NatWest Bank PLC.1 What is required by the defendant:I. Pursuant to what contractual provision such charge was made, producing a copy of the contractual document relied upon;ii. Whether such charge is accepted to be a penalty, and if not why not;iii. If such charge is alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions (whether or not such action is treated as a breach of contract between the parties), all facts and matters intended to be relied upon as showing that such was a proper estimate of such loss;iv. If such charges are not alleged to be a pre-estimate of the Defendant's loss incurred by the Claimant's actions then facts and matters showing the basis upon which the charge was calculated and all evidence to show that the charge was fair and reasonable.2. Any witness statements.3. Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon.This information to be supplied by the 15th of June 2007. If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, it is requested that the Defence be struck out without further order.It is also noted that these direction where originally requested to the court on the 20 March 2007This would mean, I think that the Fudge, oops sorry Judge, would need to think carefully about his attitude to Plaintiffs.StevePMIf you find this useful please click my scales

StevePM

If you find this useful please tip my scales

First win £5k+ another five on the go all with NatWest

I sent an email to the address above last friday(early am) and have just got back from Scotland this afternoon and no reply.I did get a letter dated the fourth about how my 40 days are almost up and they have a backlog........they seem a bit late at sending it as it's now over 70 days.

We have Settled our Claim....Finally. :grin:

My wife turned up at court today on her own ( of which I am very proud of her) and won.

When she arrived there was a Representative of the bank already there waiting, so my wife went over and introduced herself as instructed in the guidance notes and sat down waiting for her time in the court. The Rep soon came over and asked if he could have a word. He didn't have any documentation at all and in fact my wife said he had 2 pieces of blank paper and a pen (very prepared, not :-| ). He then basically offered everything we had claimed and stated the bank wanted to settle outside of court.

My wife refused to just agree to everything outside of the court and said she would accept the terms but wanted it stating to the Judge, simply to avoid them being able to mess us about anymore. They went into the court, the rep told the Judge he wanted to settle, he asked for the amounts, whether interest was added (it was) whether costs where added (they was) and if my wife was in agreement (she was). The Judge stated the Tomlin order and made them sign it which apparently means that they have to provide us with a cheque that should be cleared within 14 days.

This was in Hull which has had a bit of press lately but the Banks where still not prepared to test their cases at court.

Thanks for all of your support it has been invaluable and encouraging, at times of doubt you all gave us the confidence to continue and espeicially to Caro and BF for there advice in the later stages, you made my wife believe, and in the end she was far more prepared and Knowledgable than the Banks Representative.

Now we know first hand that these banks are truly running scared and will not allow a case to court that has been properly prepared.

Reclaim the right.