Help, Vampiress!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, your worshipfulness(!)

thanks for all the work you've done on the spreadsheets.

however, I have a problem.

I've tried to download the recommended sheet - with interest compounded - as an excel file. As soon as I try to open it, i get an error message, saying some data may have been lost. the problem appears to be in the compounding interest formula - it converts to s series of 'N/As'. I'm using Excel from Office X, which is for Apple Mac. Is this the problem? If so, then is there a way round it? Using it online could be a bit lengthy and definitely not confidential!

Look forward to hearing from you

Ruari

Westy

If you like my post, click the scales!!

Nov 1 2006 Preliminary letter

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

Read all about it: natwesttookmymoney - v- NatWest

DONATE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO KEEP THE SITE GOING.

What can you claim? Vampiress has a good idea:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Anything I say is just a suggestion. I'm a bigmouth, not a lawyer!

Hi

I will pass this on to her worshipfulness or a mod:)

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Karnevil -

the problem isn't that I don't have Excel: I do have it.

The problem is that the data is becoming corrupted in the process of downloading.

It may be that the compound interest formula needs to be expressed slightly differently - I don't recognise some of the symbols.

The on-line experience (if you will) is subject to the vagaries of pipe width, users accessing the server and so on. I found it frustratingly slow. And I'd still prefer to keep my info physically separate. I makes me feel safer - kind of warm and furry!

Ruari

Westy

21 Feb 2007 - cheque arrived for charges+DEBIT interest +Statutory Interest! Hurray!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/69877-what-can-you-claim.html

Nothing is corrupted as far as I know. I need to update the Chambers to be a little clearer on which "File" button you click. It's not the one on your browser bar, it's the one in the spreadsheet itself.

I think that's your problem. If not, let me know.

[

Thanks for coming back, Vampiress

Yes, I am using the File button in the spreadsheet itself. I select the '.xls' option and click. Under the 'formulas' button, I can see the formula but some of the symbols aren't familiar. Any chance you could take me through it (what the symbols mean) (I know what *, + and - are, and/ is divide on mine!) and I'll manually enter on my machine? Or is the only alternative to save as .csv, despite it's limitations??

D*mn, I sound like a geek!

Ruari

Westy

Thanks for coming back, Vampiress

Yes, I am using the File button in the spreadsheet itself. I select the '.xls' option and click. Under the 'formulas' button, I can see the formula but some of the symbols aren't familiar. Any chance you could take me through it (what the symbols mean) (I know what *, + and - are, and/ is divide on mine!) and I'll manually enter on my machine? Or is the only alternative to save as .csv, despite it's limitations??

D*mn, I sound like a geek!

Ruari

It's best used in it's original format. Just click "Save a copy". If you need to save as an Excel spreadsheet, rather than a Google spreadsheet, then I'd have to look into this when I've more time after work, unless someone else can help.

[

Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you. If I find a way round it, or my machine simply decides to co-operate (it happens!) I'll let you know.

Westy

DONE IT! Albeit tortuously!

I was able to copy the formula from the highlighted cell as shown on the BOTTOM RIGHT, not in the top bar, on the 'formulas' page and enter it in to the downloaded spreadsheet on my computer. I inserted =SUM before the first bracket and - bingo! I copied the cell to the next cell down and - it was still referencing B13. B*ggr. well, I went ahead and copied a few individually, changing the reference from B13 to the appropriate cell each time (B14, 15, 16, etc), and was thinking 'this could take a while (or something like that). when I got to B20 - it suddenly got the message! the next paste automatically changed B13 to B21, then B22, and so on. I was then able to copy a bunch - half a dozen cells for starters - and they all changed appropriately!

It's only going to take a few moments, now.

So, there you are. Problem solved, no worries. Hurray!

Just to confirm: that formula calcultates the INTEREST to date - the sum is just the interest, it isn't interest plus original charge, is it?

Westy

And another thing...

Just noticed, I have to change all three of the variables manually until the program

gets the idea. Then it does it automatically. Had some strange sums for a moment, there.....!

I think that £286,942,878 may exceed the Small Claims' upper limit...especially as it was for a (sample) £12 charge in 2002...!

Any other hillocks, I'll let you know.

Westy

I did say it would be easier to use the Google program itself rather than translate to Excel. It's your choice, but I wouldn't advise anyone who is not competent with Excel and spreadsheeting to follow this route.

I see you're getting it sorted. Let me know if you need anything further.

[

Just to challenge the confidentiallity issue with Google. Each spreadsheet is confidential unless you choose to share it and the only people who can see it then are those that you have invited.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Just to challenge the confidentiallity issue with Google. Each spreadsheet is confidential unless you choose to share it and the only people who can see it then are those that you have invited.

Take your point but my paranoia has gone way, way beyond background! why, I don't even trust Microsoft or Yahoo!!

Westy

I did say it would be easier to use the Google program itself rather than translate to Excel. It's your choice, but I wouldn't advise anyone who is not competent with Excel and spreadsheeting to follow this route.

I see you're getting it sorted. Let me know if you need anything further.

Yup, things are fine - thanks for your help and willingess to go digging for info.

I wouldn't describe myself as an Excel expert but I use them for my accounts. YOur formula for comound interst is a boon - nay, a very godsend. That, I could not have done on my own.

I've replied to a guy named Aitchji (I think) on another thread - 'Spreadsheet Help Needed' - with my experience and also referred him/her here.

Charges from miscellaneous statements I'd happened to download over the years already stand at £4102.99 (£3656 plus £446.99 interest), and the list is far, far from complete. Luckily(!) they repaid me £500 earlier this year, against a claim of £1329 - I went through their complaints procedure, which took three months and was most unsatisfacctory. I'll open another thread asking for help on that one.

Thanks again.

Westy

Thanks, Vampiress. I see from briefly reading the first few pages of those threads that you have been very busy indeed. I'm very grateful and I'm sure loads of other people are, too.

My excel spreadsheet is now becoming second nature to me: I've experimented with changing the interest rate and everything - such fun!

I'd better go and do some work now or the question of reclaiming fees will pale into insignificance compared to other financial shortfalls......!

NWTMM

Westy