• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Shelley -v- Barclaycard PPI 3rd claim - **SATISFACTORY OUTCOME**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes folks - it's the BC Slayer going for the jugglier again.

After BC failed to produce the SAR information requested earlier in the year, I took them to court and they finally provided the information and I won nominal damages.

I submitted a new claim to them for PPI on an old account operated between 2002-2004 at the beginning of the month and although I have received an acknowledgment, it isn't clear as to what they are acknowledging because I also sent (in seperate envelope) a claim for unfair charges.

They have since written to me with their final response in respect the unfair charges claim and said 'GO AWAY' or go to FOS but I haven't received anything in respect to PPI. Therefore, I will be now submitting my lba giving them 14 days and preparing my N1 claim ready to submit to the CCMCC next month.

They obviously do not realise who I am so bring it on BC.

The BC Slayer: :laser:

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

They obviously do not realise who I am so bring it on BC.

:lol:

I am sure it wont be long before the penny drops !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CB. I hope not.

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

I am after your assistance peeps please.

I have searched through my many templates and through the CAG library carefully for a template lba for PPI claim.

I have also been reading through various threads to no avail and would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction before I lose the will to live :(

Your help is gratefully appreciated

Having checked my R/D receipt the RM website advises that my correspondence is still being processed through their system, so I am wondering if they have received it. I know it is problematic and a regular thing with big organisations receiving post so I suspect I will have to give BC the benefoit of the doubt, or will I?

Well it is no surprise folks that I have received a fabricated response from BC today.(At least it answers my question about them having received my first letter)

They say " I wrote to you on xx October 2012 asking for some additional information about your complaint, but have not yet received a reply". "I would be grateful if you could send me the information listed below so I can fully address your concerns".

FOS Questionnaire

Then the usual blahdy blah rubbish from their Operations Director no less!

I will have great pleasure in sending them a copy of the original which was sent a month ago, together with my lba giving them 14 days to reply.

WHEN will they stop churning out this rubbish which has taken 7 days to arrive anyway?

• 1 month later...
Well it is no surprise folks that I have received a fabricated response from BC today.(At least it answers my question about them having received my first letter)

They say " I wrote to you on xx October 2012 asking for some additional information about your complaint, but have not yet received a reply". "I would be grateful if you could send me the information listed below so I can fully address your concerns".

FOS Questionnaire

Then the usual blahdy blah rubbish from their Operations Director no less!

I will have great pleasure in sending them a copy of the original which was sent a month ago, together with my lba giving them 14 days to reply.

WHEN will they stop churning out this rubbish which has taken 7 days to arrive anyway?

Well, the above letter stated that they would respond to me by no later than 29th November 2012 and today I have received two responses dated 3 days apart from 2 different people at B/C, lol.

The one, once again asks me for my FOS form which they have already been sent TWICE.

The other letter advises that they can see from their records that thye have an internal error aas this case has been acknowledged under 2 different complaint reference numbers and now they say they are closing the one complaint and will only respond to the other one, by no later than 14th January 2013.

As I have complied with their requests by submitting the FOS form (twice) and still have not yet received a reply, should I now just take the matter to court?

They have had my prelim letter and my lba and I have been patient by waiting on their perusal of my FOS form and they have messed up internally.

What issues may I face if I decide to go to court?

Or because it is PPI, should I continue waiting for these idiots to work out their administration problems and deal with me in the year 2020?

It makes you want to weep doesnt it? They then try to the con the world in to believing they are a trustworthy institution..

I will alert the usual suspects to your thread..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Shelley

Usual suspect number one dropping in :lol:

What are the reasons you gave for the mis-sale on this card account please?

You have a choice, you can either go the regulatory route and wait or get fos involved or you are quite at liberty to take this to court.

One thing that strikes me is that you have history n this account with the non-compliance issue and it could add weight to your argument that you had to issue against them for non compliance and, indeed, won it.

The thing to consider on a PPI claim is that the onus of proof of mis-selling will be on you as the claimant (Civil burden on the balance of probability). Hence the question as to the reasons you gave for the mis-sale.

What kind of value of PPI and interest are we talking please?

• Haha 1

Hello CB & ims21, thanks for dropping in.

Well this account was at a time when I was high up the managerial ivory tower in a well paid job when the short application form dropped on the mat

which was designed to mislead applicants that the PPI was mandatory when in fact it was optional.

The statements did not show this was optional, like they state today.

Due to my position with in the firm I would not have needed the PPI as I would have received a healthy package.

In addition to this, within months of taking the card out I became self employed which they were made aware of and this made no difference to them.

The business went belly up in April 2004 which again they were made aware of but still charged me PPI until Nov 2004!!!

Furthermore, I had pre-exisiting medical conditions from a serious RTA some years earlier and was not made aware that they would be exempt so all in all,

they ripped me off big time.

Perhaps that's what they are delaying about and not sure how to respond to my FOS form.

I do have records to substantiate this explanation that B/C may not be aware of.

In terms of value the PPI premiums were £157.70 plus interest in restitution of £967=£1272

Guess I'm "Usual Suspect No. 2" then !! :lol:

As Ims says, even though the level of proof required on the Small Claims track is, "on the balance of probability", it is for you to PROVE that to the satisfaction of the court.

If you decide to go to court after giving this due consideration, you may also want to seek "compound interest in restitution or, in the alternative and at the court's discretion, Statutory Interest at 8%."

:wink:

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

:lol: Hello Slick, thanks for dropping in.

"Balance of probability" assuming it went as far as court, the T&C's do not state that the PPI was optional so would it have been for the account holder to have approached the sharks to ask and more to the point, I wonder what their answer would have been under the circumstances at that time?

I understand where you are coming from as this was the same circumstances that I took and won Citi in court (albeit, Judgment by default) last year.

Hi Shelley,

One other thought - because the PPI charges relate to a (normally) statute-barred period, you would also have to successfully argue s.32 Limitation Act before you have a chance to argue the toss about the PPI itself.

Given your ongoing case with Citi and your local judge's preconception about s.32 not being relevant, you may be wise to consider having the claim heard at another court, if it gets to that stage.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick,

You are absolutely right there. That thought had crossed my mind and an alternative court was already being looked into as a probability for all my other cases.

I managed to have a good conversation withthe security guard the other day at my local court and they provided me with a little useful information which I can't disclose on here but it has given me a little homework to do on a research project, hehe.

I won't get complacent about the sharkies but I would like to hope they would cave in like previously, but I won't hold my breath.

It is certainly a good learning curve this experience.

On a funny note: I took the dog for a walk yesterday, slipped in the mud, ended up doing the splits and my phone went for a burton - consequently, the dog only now goes for a 'walk' on pavements whilst the ground is like this. I retained my dignity because there was no one else about but came home to a flooded kitchen, hall and lounge :lol:

Who said life is boring?

Edited by Shelley181146

Based on my post on #9, what do you think my chances are through the court route?

Hi Shelley,

As already said, first you need to clear the s.32 hurdle.

Beyond that, I'd say it depends on how clear the application form was about the PPI appearing to be mandatory, instead of optional.

What does the form say, to prompt you into saying the application form " ............. was designed to mislead applicants that the PPI was mandatory when in fact it was optional."

Going to follow thus one as am about to start a similar claim

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

Hi Shelley,

As already said, first you need to clear the s.32 hurdle.

Beyond that, I'd say it depends on how clear the application form was about the PPI appearing to be mandatory, instead of optional.

What does the form say, to prompt you into saying the application form " ............. was designed to mislead applicants that the PPI was mandatory when in fact it was optional."

Hi Slick,

It was only a short priority application form' and in the 2nd box it said " Barclaycard Payment Protection. Don't sign up without it. Followed by a huge rosette type logo saying "all round protection" & in the centre in big bold lettering 'BARCLAYCARD PAYMENT PROTECTION' and another box next to it 'APPLY TODAY'. There is NO small print even saying 'optional' so they are implying/mis-leading customers to believe it is mandatory IMHO.

In addition to this, the monthly statements only changed the premiums to 'optional' after the 2006 report so they knew what they were doing.

Shelley

Going to follow thus one as am about to start a similar claim

MrHat,

Is yours a PPI claim with B/C?

No, Egg

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

Hi Slick,

It was only a short priority application form' and in the 2nd box it said " Barclaycard Payment Protection. Don't sign up without it. Followed by a huge rosette type logo saying "all round protection" & in the centre in big bold lettering 'BARCLAYCARD PAYMENT PROTECTION' and another box next to it 'APPLY TODAY'. There is NO small print even saying 'optional' so they are implying/mis-leading customers to believe it is mandatory IMHO.

In addition to this, the monthly statements only changed the premiums to 'optional' after the 2006 report so they knew what they were doing.

Shelley

Sounds pretty much like they were pushing this product.

BCOBS

Hi CB,

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Yes, I have to agree.

I only wish I had returned to college sooner to understand finances better

I think there would have been a huge intake of students :lol:

BCOBS

That only adds to my suspicions that the marketing of this application WAS deliberately mis-leading. :mad2:

Hi shelley,

Ive been down the Sharkleys PPI road and also crossed swords with them on other issues.

They really, really dont like meeting judges and will do anything to avoid meeting one.

They will pay up in the event that you go down the Court route.

Your total amount including contractual interest seems rather on the low side.

Hi Noomill060,

I am inclined to go down the court route but donot want to get complacent.

I have just checked my spreadsheet and it was a tiny bit out but nothing major.

I didn't have the card very long and I am claiming 24.94% interest as per what they charged me.

Time will tell and I do have an unfair charges claim with the same account, :lol: