Kiddicare - car seat problem

vw_golf_nutter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, need some advice as Ive had a problem and Im quite upset about it and kind of feel like if I let it go peoples kids are at risk!

I am a first time mum and have a 4 month old daughter. She had a baby travel system from Mamas and Papas but has grown too snug in her baby car seat so I wanted to get a bigger one that is suitable from birth to 4yrs to give her a bit more room.

I was told by a friend Kiddicare had a sale so I went online to browse their products. I was on the website looking at various car seats for about an hour trying to decide which one was best. I settled on my choice and read all of the information on the product page and that it could be fitted using the normal car seat belt which was good as my car is a 1996 and does not have isofix.

I paid for the item online and it was delivered next day. Great, all good so far.

The car seat is designed that it can be rear facing until 9kgs and then can turn and be forward facing when the child is older. I fitted it in the back of my VW Golf using the seat belt, I didnt think it was that sturdy but trusted that it would of been safety tested so I went out in the car with my baby in the new car seat.

Whilst I was out I realised that when I turned a corner the car seat tipped to one side! I was shocked it had done this and went straight home. Worried that this cant be right I emailed Kiddicare who replied that the car seat is not compatible with a VW Golf which surprised me as its a normal hatchback!

I was horrified that I had put my baby at risk in an unstable and unsafe car seat and asked for their advice. They advised me to come in to the store to have one fitted. Unfortunately I live 158 miles from their store so this isnt an option. I asked if I can have this one refunded and buy a different one and they could collect it when I get my new one delivered and they refused and said that as I had used it it was non-refundable!

Now there are 2 seperate issues.. 1) that i am stuck with a car seat that they knew was not compatible but that I did not know and the information was not made available for customers before purchase. and 2) that my baby was put at risk because I was unaware the seat was not compatible.

From the hour I spent on the site, to deciding on a seat to ordering it and arranging delivery it was never warned that it may not be compatible. There was a fitting guide video on the product page which I watched and this did not hint that it may not be suitable. It simply says it fits with a normal car seat belt. I also read through the written leaflet with the seat and it does not state that it only fits certain vehicles.

I am worried that if I was able to make this mistake that plenty more people out there will do the same and will be putting babies at serious risk!

Kiddicare said that they have a car seat buying guide on their website but it is very hard to find, I certainly did not come across it when I was browsing for car seats and I feel that there should either be the advice on the product pages that you should ring for vehicle compatibility or a link to their buyers guide. It still does not mention compatible or non compatible vehicles even in the buyers guide.

They are failing to accept that they have a problem.

The fact that I am left with a car seat that I cannot use it only half the problem, Im sure there are people out there using car seats that dont fit properly!

Where do I stand and can anything be done?!

Nutter, when was the item delivered?

If it is within 7 working days then you can cancel using the distance selling regulations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/08/27/get_your_refund_distance_selli.html

Thanks for the link, so i should be able to get the cost of the car seat refunded, but am i right in thinking i have to pay to post it back? A car seat will probably cost loads!

Yes you get the cost refunded.

As for the return cost, have a look at their t&c on their website. As the goods are not faulty as such you will most likely have to pay the return cost.

However there are some cheap couriers on the net so it may not cost as much as you think.

When cancelling ask them to collect it. Worth a shot.