Mercantile - Debt in my name that i havent had?!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all, am new here and came across this site whilst trying to look up Mercantile solutions im hoping for a bit of info ...

to cut a long story short i moved into my property as a tenant 2 1/2 years ago and the previous residents had many letters for various debts which under the instruction of my estate agent i opened all mail to these tenants and gave all info to them who then must have sorted it all out (it took about a year) but we were finally letter free!

Today i opened a letter to myself (with a slight misspelling of my surname) it was from above agency saying i owed £907.20 to the creditor QuickQuid i have not even heard of this company and have no loans in my name nor even a credit card so am amazed they have decided that i owe this money i origionally thought that the debt was probably one attached to the address and since i have been added to the electorial roll with the slight misspelling of my surname that they have just looked up the address and found that i live here and attached the debt to me!

I rang the company who were so rude to me it made my blood boil.... i at first didnt want to hand over my real details in case they just attached the debt to the correct name spelling of my surname but i had to give my real name and dob and the woman said the dob didnt match the person they were looking for and asked my previous address and email address which all didnt match what she had so she advised me that they had the wrong person and would sort it out for me.

Im none the wiser as to if they have cleared it from my name or if they will continue to try and chase me for a debt i have no ties to? is this even legal?

Any info or advise would be great as i am not sure what to do next

Thanks for your time guys sorry if the post was a bit hashed i am still fuming!

Christina

Hi Welcome to CAG please stay off the phone to this DCA!!!

I believe the agents are wrong here the letters should have been returned to the senders unopened.

You need to check your credit reference files to see if any data reagarding this is held.

You need to send the following to the Data Controller at Mercantile by recorded delivery.

Ref: ason their letter.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I refer ro your company letter dated xx xx xxxx in regard to a debt for£xxx which you allege is owed by m, please note I do not acknowledge any debt to Mercantile or any company you may claim to represent.

I had the misfortune to telephone your company in regards to the letter I received and I am disgusted by the rude and agressive behaviour of your staff and being made to divulge my personal details, your staff need to be reminded that the onus is on Mercantile to provee that they have the correct person not for an individual to prove they are not the debtor i question.

Clearly your staff are careless or totally incompetent and are in need of training in their attitude to the public, perhaps they should remember that they have no authority to make any judgements or decisions that have any legal standing.

If your company has placed any adverse data on any credit reference files it must be removed with immediate effect, if this has occurred I shall seek compensation for your damaging actions, if Mercantile has carried out unauthorised searches on CRA files these must be removed and compensation paid for this.

I expect confirmation that you have acted upon these instructions no later than 72 hours after receipt of this Recorded Delivery letter which will be tracked.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

And the relevant complaint to the OFT&TS for the continued incompetence of miss tracing debtors, this is why people commit suicide!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!