IB to ESA, letter received.

sidwalescigar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Like many others on IB I have today received my letter regarding the coming phone call from the DWP and the other stuff that follows.

I am very curious and somewhat scared about this, I haven't worked for 6 years, following a bad operation and other accumulated health issues.

I would love it if someone who has experience in these matters could advise me of the situation and what they think about it.

Originally in 2005 I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and it was found that I had coronary artery disease - after a cardiogram, one artery was found to be 90% blocked and another 40% blocked.

During this time I was also rushed to A&E in early 2006 with suspected appendicitis, the Doctors had me n the for 8 days trying to discover what was wrong with me, giving me major tests every day until they decided to open me up on the 9th day by giving me a full laparotomy from just below the ribs down to my pubic bone. They found that I had gangrenous appendicitis with abcesses and pus. I was put back together with about 60 metal staples. I had a long recovery time and also during this time I was stented in one artery and put on many tablets.

I was also diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and treated accordingly for this.

I have been in continuous but not constant pain for all these years and suffer a lot of side effects mostly due to the stomach problems. I had to go back to another hospital after a second opinion to have an A4 sized piece of mesh covered in ptfe to hold my stomach in to stop the multiple hernias which came as a result of the op. This was done by keyhole surgery about three years ago, it has helped somewhat.

My ticker is my main worry, I can walk but get tired and fatigued due to the diabetes. I am also being treated for depression and my waterworks are just starting to get a little bit unpredictable. I am also having memory lapses, short term stuff, I can remember stuff from years ago but can't remember stuff from a few minutes ago.Eyesight getting a bit grim close up too.

I take 12.5 tablets every day, aspirin, simvastatin, monosorb, ramipril, metformin, gliclazide, slozem, mebeverine and sertraline.

Would I be employable ? Sorry about the long story, any advice will be much appreciated.

I have blocked arteries in my heart had several heart attacks and have been in hospital and had angioplasty (have 5 stents), as well as a few other problems (including memory as you describe). I got the letter about a year ago, followed by a phone call. I told the guy on the phone I wanted to on carers allowance (am wifes carer but get no money because of IB/ESA), as i had heard about ATOS; he said fill out ESA50 first before doing that. Which i did, and got put into the support group. This may have been because i was waiting to go into hospital for latest round of heart surgery.

Give as much info as you can on the ESA50 (see sticky above), put copy of your script in. Don't just stick to the obvious others parts of the form my apply to you. Don't forget to tell them about your memory problems, I forgot that in my form, but will try and remember for the next one. If you get angry because of the pain tell them that as well.

My biggest worry at the moment is UC.

I don't suffer from heart problems, mine are accident injuries but I know how you feel about the rest down to the stomach problems and hernias. So my advice is to write everything down including the toilet issues. They get points and that's what ESA is about - points and points mean benefit!

Best bit of advice I was given - never mention a good day or normal one. Base it on a bad day! ATOS only listen the a good or normal day even if you mention bad days. And good luck ;)

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)

There is nothing to stop you saying "on a bad day...", "on a better day..", etc. I did this.

true but there is also nothing stopping the DPW/ATOS counting your better day as every day.

Remember we not dealing with honest assessors.

I advise anyone who puts down better days to make it clear how many days a week/month on average better days are.

There is a reason people get advised to put their worst days. Its not to decieve the DWP but to stop them treating you as if your better days are the norm.