Recently moved into student house - mouse issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hoping I can get some clarification on my rights as a tenant in regards to mouse infestations.

recently noticed there might be a mouse or two in the house after hearing some scurrying along the skirting board in my room. I informed the landlord who also owns the house next door and he said he caught a couple of them and decided to lay a trap. at least 3/4 have been caught so far but upon investigation there seems to be some gaps in the walls/skirting board which I suspect the mice are coming from. I suggested to the landlord could he not fill these in as it would help to prevent them coming in bu he just sort of brushed off the matter and said there would be no point. It would take no more than 10-15mins to fill in.

My main worry is I am on the ground floor and the mice seem to be coming into my room, I have bought one of those repellers but I am not sure if its actually bringing them out or not working at all. I've been staying some other place last few days as I dont really want to hear or have any mice running around my room while im sleeping.

What rights do i have in this instance? I do know there is some case law regarding rodent infestations but doesnt seem so clear. My housemates are not back until this weekend but I am away on holiday and ideally i would like all of us to have a sit down and discuss what needs to be done and i think the first step is filling in the gaps on the walls.

I have been informed that Environmental health could order my landlord to deal with this but on the other hand I have also been told that the Landlord and Tenant Act puts the landlord under an obligation to do this in relation to pests such as mice.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like it sorted and the landlord seems nice so far I just like to know my options should he refuse do to anything about it.

p.s. Is laying down mouse traps/bait considered reasonable where there may be an infestation?

Cheers!

If you have mice be very careful not to leave any food out in the open or dirty plates around as it will just tempt them. Mice can get through tiny holes so if you fill in the skirting board they will just find another way in, although if its such a small job you may as well do it yourself if the landlord isnt in a hurry to do it.

mouse traps and baits are quite reasononable IMO.

If your landlord is quite nice at the moment I would suggest that you dont start quoting Landlord and tennant Acts at him or mentionong EH at the moment as it will almost certainly get his back up

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Assuming this is not a new, recent let, then any vermin present is responsibility of T to eradicate. LLs responsibility is only for any structural disrepair allowing vermin entry, eg broken foul pipe or hole in exterior wall. Filling the holes with mortar and obtaining 1 or 2 instant death spring traps would be a resp T solution before involving LL.

DO NOT use poison bait as they will have time to scurry away before they die & rot, possibly under your floorboards.

Issue the ll a notice in writing to deal with the mouse problem. Give him a time limit. If he refuses then contact environmental health and have them bill the LL.

Edited by renegadeimp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Assuming this is not a new, recent let, then any vermin present is responsibility of T to eradicate. LLs responsibility is only for any structural disrepair allowing vermin entry, eg broken foul pipe or hole in exterior wall. Filling the holes with mortar and obtaining 1 or 2 instant death spring traps would be a resp T solution before involving LL.

DO NOT use poison bait as they will have time to scurry away before they die & rot, possibly under your floorboards.

I have only started living here last couple weeks but the tenancy started beginning of August so nobody has been living here prior to the previous tenants. The I did inform the LL about this and he only put 1 mouse trap down and I have spent money buying other traps/repeller to try rid the problem and I've caught 3/4 mice in the last couple days. I have also noticed that there are gaps in some of the walls where sockets and pipes have been installed but it seems as if they have done a half job and not filled in the rest of the gap, which could possibly be where the mice are coming and going.

I was thinking of getting some expandable foam to plug the holes but a) I am worried he might charge us from our deposit for doing this and b) I shouldnt see why I should be spending more money and doing his job of plugging the holes which should have been done in the first place.

He's more of a call him anytime person but you suggest sending a letter so I have evidence if taken further? What is a reasonable time limit? 14 days? more?

Have you contacted environmental health at your local council?

First, send your LL a letter and give him 14 days to rectify the problem. Add the clause that if he fails to do this then you have no alternative but to go through environmental health.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D