Tricky situation re job offer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I was fortunate enough to secure a job offer roughly 2 weeks ago. I started the job Monday, and I like the workplace and people so far.

Last week I had an interview for another job (a job with arguably better prospects and pays better wages), this interview had been arranged 2 or 3 weeks ago.

On Monday of this week I had an answer phone message and checked it during my lunch break and it was regarding the interview last week. They have now also offered me a job, start next Tuesday, I was so happy I accepted on the spot.

So the problem is that I started a job on Monday, was then offered a better job later on that same Monday morning.

I am definitely going to take this 2nd job offer as IMO it's a better job. I haven't yet told my "current employer" albeit I've only worked for them for 2 days. My friends and family say I am right not to tell them as "what if the 2nd job offer is withdrawn later this week and you've already resigned" So in theory could lose 2 jobs in a matter of days.

What do you think, I 110% will be taking this 2nd job offer.

I've worked 2 days for this first company now so certainly want to be paid for them. I am, however, scaed about telling them as I have yet to start at this 2nd job and that job could disappear if a random boss decided to cutback staff!

In this current job I am only being trained, for next 3 weeks, so I certainly do not see any issue of me working a notice period. They would simply be incurring a bills of my wages when, at present, I am very little use to them.

Your thoughts? Will I definitely get paid for days I've worked this week? I wasn't going to go in to work today as I feel a bit sneaky doing it but my father said something like "you must be mad, you've got a job, do it for rest of week until you start this next one. It's dog eat dog. If you resign you risk ending up with nothing" my mates say pretty much the same.

I'm sorry that my current employer has got an employee that is leaving after just a week, having started to train me, but surely 99.9% of people are going to take a much better job that comes up so quickly?

I'm sympathetic to this 1st company but my priority is my future.

Hope I've explained it clearly.

stick with the job you got till the new one starts then go on the sick and start the new job if the new job dont work out,go back to the first job! after a couple of weeks sick and you like the new job,tell the old job you aint going back,ya get your wages by then!

never resign until you have an unconditional offer in writing, after any references and health checks.

you are probably on a weeks notice? hand it in when the time comes.

yes, you should be paid.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I really wouldnt suggest that you take a previous posters suggestion of going sick, chances are anyone going sick just after starting will be fired anyway and its dishonest. Once you get your new job offer in writing tell the existing company exactly what has happened its not an unusual situation, leave on good terms because you never know you might want to go back one day.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.