Ex partner claiming PPI charges on joint accounts?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon all, Just after a little advice if I may please?

I recently received a letter from Halifax explaining that a PPI claim was being made.

I approached my ex and questioned this and she admitted that this was true, she has involved a third party to act on her behalf.

Unfortunately for her Halifax have sent me a cheque for 500+ Pounds.

Now this has come at a very needy time for me and she has now got very disgruntled at the fact that her PPI company have been by-passed and I have already received money.

Had it not have been for Halifax I would not have been aware of these claims being made on her behalf but the concern I have is that we also had two mortgages together (Both settled in full) and a couple of other secured loans in joint names (also settled in full).

Unfortunately I was awarded nothing when our home was sold off despite being out of work when we split.

6 years down the line I am still struggling away with my new family.

I have a concern that this very money orientated person is trying to claim the PPI back on joint accounts for herself. Is anyone able to advise of the legalities involved in such a case please.

Kind Regards

2deceitful

If the PPI is in both names then you would be entitled to 50% each

If the PPI is in both names then you would be entitled to 50% each

Thank you for your reply.

If my ex has employed a PPI company to act on her behalf is there any way that she could end up receiving the full amount rather than it being split 50/50?

Trying to obtain any information from her is like getting blood out of a stone but that has not stopped her getting disgruntled that Halifax have honoured the 50% share and sent it to me direct.

Kind Regards

Trying to obtain any information from her is like getting blood out of a stone but that has not stopped her getting disgruntled that halifaxlink3.gif have honoured the 50% share and sent it to me direct.

Oh dear - well for once I am pleased that Halifax have done something correctly for once.

Do you know of any other contracts that had the PPI and who was the first named on the agreements ? Because it usually only the first named who would have been covered in the event of a claim ?

I am surprised that she has been able to obtain information from lenders on her own. Joint accounts usually require the signature of both parties !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It would be quite interesting to know if she has indeed employed one of the CMCs to obtain these refunds for her. Because it will be to her they go for the percentage fee as she employed them :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oh dear - well for once I am pleased that Halifax have done something correctly for once.

Do you know of any other contracts that had the PPI and who was the first named on the agreements ? Because it usually only the first named who would have been covered in the event of a claim ?

I am surprised that she has been able to obtain information from lenders on her own. Joint accounts usually require the signature of both parties !

No I'm afraid I haven't a clue. My income was the larger but knowing the luck I have her name would be first :(

I'm pleased that Halifax have done it this way also as I would have not known otherwise. Sh'e getting her knickers in a twist over it all because I guess she is worried that her PPI collection company will pursue her for the percentage on the amount I have been paid. I know there is also another Halifax claim going through that I have also received notice of from the bank.

It makes me laugh really because she works for the HBOS group lol

It would be quite interesting to know if she has indeed employed one of the CMCs to obtain these refunds for her. Because it will be to her they go for the percentage fee as she employed them :(

Well I would have offered to pay any fees accrued on my payments but it all appears to be very underhand at the moment. There are still other loans we had in joint names and I know given the chance she would happily receive 100% of any payout without informing me.

The main concern I have is the company she is using and whether or not they could indeed collect 100% and pay it to her without my authorisation.

Just as well I opened a separate Halifax account when we split :)

If they did and you discovered this, I think you would possibly be able to issue a county court claim against your ex for your share ??

What I would really like to know is how she is making these claims without your signature. We have many people in similar situation to yours .. eg marriage break ups .. where one person is trying to make a claim and the ex either cant be found or is being difficult about providing a signature.. the banks are being equally obstructive in not dealing with out that second signature ?

Perhaps you could make an attempt to reclaim on one of the joint accounts and see what happens ?

BCOBS

If they did and you discovered this, I think you would possibly be able to issue a county court claim against your ex for your share ??

What I would really like to know is how she is making these claims without your signature. We have many people in similar situation to yours .. eg marriage break ups .. where one person is trying to make a claim and the ex either cant be found or is being difficult about providing a signature.. the banks are being equally obstructive in not dealing with out that second signature ?

Perhaps you could make an attempt to reclaim on one of the joint accounts and see what happens ?

There is definitely a third party involved that is doing the work for her. I have asked her what they have said about my name being on the joint accounts but she has point blank avoided this question.

With regards to the signature? Who knows but it's not exactly the hardest to copy if you understand what I am saying without directly saying it as this information is unknown.

My address and contact number are known by my ex and I see her on a fairly regular basis as we have a child together. That too is a nightmare situation regarding contact but that's another story for another forum no doubt lol

By the way, my cheque WILL be cashed regardless of her being disgruntled and I am doing this only because it has come at a time where I really could do with extra help.

Thanks for everyone's help :)

Edited by 2deceitful

Understood - at least you have benefited by £500.00 in this instance :)

BCOBS

As far as I remember it would depend on the status of the account. Most joint accounts are considered shared equally, but can have "tenant in common" status where the percentage of ownership is specified.

Understood - at least you have benefited by £500.00 in this instance :)

Agreed :)

As far as I remember it would depend on the status of the account. Most joint accounts are considered shared equally, but can have "tenant in common" status where the percentage of ownership is specified.

What is a tenant in common?

Sounds like someone who lives in a house and pays towards bills?

Mortgages and loans were calculated on both of our earnings and in joint names.

Kind regards :)