Un-fair recovery charge

Dumachi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically, woke up the other morning and my car has dissappeared.. i reported the car stolen right away, they found the car and took it to a local lockup, i rang them today and they said its £200 pound recovery charge to have my car back. how can i fight this?

Surely this is a matter for your insurer?

I had similar with a recovery and my insurer just dealt with the police direct.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Wont the fact i have high voluntary excess make that impossible? I was never given the option to recover it and police forced me to let them keep it. I dont understand how im liable for this...

S.15 - Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 says that in a contract for srvices has not been agreed, then a reasonable price will be implied.

Start off by getting the car back - or else they will start adding storage fees which will make life even more complicated.

Do some research and get quotes for a comparable recovery by 2 or 3 other recovery firms.

If you find that the £200 is over the odds then you can consider bringing a small claim under SGSA 1982 with a good chance of success.

To amuse yourself, you could submit an FOI request to the police asking about the names and addresses of other contractors used, a copy of the contract they have with them and details of any commission or fee paid by the contractors to the police - along with figures to show haw many recoveries were requested by the police in the last 3 years and to which contractors those requests were made.

Let us know what you get.