home visit from dla doctor

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am having a visit on Monday 13/8/12 from a Doctor about my DLA claim I suffer from Fybromyalgia and depression. I have been unable to get out of the house for about 3 months now as I am unable to walk without being in severe pain and if I travel on a bus I am in agony and then the day after I can not move.

My Fybromyalgia causes me to be tried continuously and in severe pain from head to foot. I need my hubby to help me make meals and everyday task. I forget where I am going and I have once or twice stopped in the middle of the road (full of traffic) because I have forgot which way I am going. Some days I do not even want to get dressed and my hubby has to convince me to get washed and dressed.

My life has become like being in prison I am absolutely petrified about this doctor coming on Monday as I feel that it will be a total waste of time. Do they actually care that I am unable to get out and that I am unable to do things I used to do and I am becoming a burden on my family .

Does anyone have any helpful hints for me or am I wasting my time

xxx

Edited by citizenB
formatting

I dont think you need have any concerns. Will your Hubby be there when the Doctor visits ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Do not make an effort just because you have a doctor coming around. If staying in pyjamas all day is normal, do that. If you're on medication, ensure that the medication is where one would expect to find it. For example, I have some medication in my handbag (as I need it when I'm out) and another lot in my room. (as I spend a lot of time in my room)

Don't do anything that you wouldn't normally do. You're showing them what you're normally like.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the advice I am usually in the living room as I can not get about much and for me to get dressed is a mission impossible my hubby says as I never feel like getting dressed .

Will keep you posted of how I get on .

Thanks everyone xx

Please don't worry about it too much, I'm sure you'll be fine. When my OH had his visit from the DLA doctor he was lovely. He even gave us some (unofficial!) advice about what we should be badgering our own GP about!

Just make sure you tell the doctor EVERYTHING, even if it seems silly or irrelevant. You need to show just how much these disabilities have impacted your life and changed what most people take for granted.

Best wishes

Janie xx

Hi,

I had my visit this morning from the ATOS healthcare for my DLA claim the Dr was very nice and did not make me do anything that hurt me she was very interested in why I am unable to get out and seemed very concerned that I was stuck within the 4 walls of the house. She told us that she would send the form off straight away today and I should hear within a couple of weeks . So now the waiting begins again to see what I do or do not get.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for everyone's kind words of encouragement.

Michelle xx

Excellent - that is good to know your fears were unfounded :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please don't worry about it too much, I'm sure you'll be fine. When my OH had his visit from the DLA doctor he was lovely. He even gave us some (unofficial!) advice about what we should be badgering our own GP about!

Just make sure you tell the doctor EVERYTHING, even if it seems silly or irrelevant. You need to show just how much these disabilities have impacted your life and changed what most people take for granted.

Best wishes

Janie xx

I think that you will find that most, not all, assessors do not give you the chance to elaborate or go into a sermon about how your life is affected.

From what I have heard they simply ask questions and anything other than a simple yes or no and maybe the odd comment in between is what they are looking for. Remember they are time restricted and don't normally have shorthand skills!

As for experience of ATOS, when I attended my ESA assessment I, as normal, have the habit of expanding on every point or answer. I was politely but firmly instructed that a yes or no answer would suffice. Consequently that is all he got. I'm not too sure if he thought I was winding him up or not especially when he asked what medication I was taking and I replied - no! Then he asked what did I do on a normal day - yes!

That went on for about 20 mins - I don't think he had the guts to tell me to answer correctly!!

My OH has had four assessments so far, and each time the health professional has been considerate and taken the time to listen. We have had the opportunity each time to read their comments at the assessment and correct/add to them as necessary. We must be very lucky.......or very assertive!

(The descriptors for DLA and ESA are very different, also.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Well I received my decision from the DLA yesterday I was awarded the LRC and nothing else. I could not believe it my hubby read the letter and said to me have they wrote to you about some else because this is not about you. I am unable to walk 1 step without severe pain in my legs she has said I can walk a 100 metres if though I am slow and with my stick. A 100 metres I can't even walk to the toilet which is about 5 steps away from the living room with having to hold onto the door frame or my hubby has to help me there. I told her I had not been out of the house for about 3-4 months because the pain is so bad I can not bare to walk a few steps I am crying with pain and I do mean crying. My hubby told her he has to force me to get washed and dresses as I am not able to motivate myself Syracuse I have so much pain it hurts to get dressed so it is easier to stay the way I am.She was also told about when I am out I need someone with me as I have dizzy spells and my memory goes. The other week I was found just stood in the middle of the road I had no idea what I was doing there but she has put I am not in any danger. Nor do I suffer from dizzy spells even though I had one whilst she was there. My hubby told her that at night he has to be woken so I can go to the toilet 2-3 times a night as I am unable to get out of bed and walk to the toilet on my own because I have fallen down stairs twice when I have managed.

In the section for day care it says in one part that I need help to use the bath or shower and toilet needs but in the next section it says the complete opposite so how can it be both. Do these Doctors actually listen and watch you when you walk she asked me to walk down the hall way which I did but I had to use my stick and hold onto the wall for support with every step I was crying with pain and my husband had to come and get me and help me back to my chair. How bad do you need to be because I have been a prisoner in my own home for months now and it is making my depression worse it is that bad that I am snapping at the family because of the pain the depression and not having a independent live. How can the DWP say this is to give you independent live when they haven't I am just as stuck in my house as I was before I wish these people could swap with me for a day and see how **** my life really is I want them to feel the pain I feel everyday and be stuck not being able to do anything I can not play with my grand children because of this Fibromyalgia.

Now we are debating as to appeal or not will they actually listen and read my letter of how my condition effects me. I know people who can walk miles and run they have HRM and HRC but I get LRC and left a prisoner in my own home.

That seems unfortunate. If you only have LRC then, I would have thought, there would be little to lose by appealing. I presume your GP is happy to write a report in support if they have not already done so.

To be honest, if you really 'know people who can walk miles and run they have HRM and HRC...' then it is your duty to report them. Bearing in mind, of course, they may have valid reasons and there are exceptions to every rule ...