SLC Grant overpayment - The Limitation Act 1980 ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

In my 2nd year of uni I left in Dec 2001 but received my 2nd grant payment in Jan 2002. I never heard anything about this until I received a phone call about it a few months ago and now a letter dated 30th June 2012 requesting payment in full, £1450.

My question is, before I contact them to make offer of payment within my means, is this not covered by the Limitations Act in that after 6 years they cannot pursue me for this date?

I am aware that Student Loans post 1998 are exempt, I have a student loan also which is paid through my salary when I am working. However this is a grant.

Your advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Maxine

Are you sure it was a grant and not part of your maintenance loan? I thought non-repayable student grants were ended in 1998 - I certainly don't remember anyone receiving one, except on application for hardship. Either way, if it was paid after you ceased to be a student, then they probably do have a right to have it back without limitation.

Once others have confirmed this or given other views, have you considered suggesting that they include it in your loan balance for repayment via your salary, as you already do for the rest?