Gym fall - advice

Suki007
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone offer me advice on whether to make a claim against my gym?

I fell there last week and am being treated for a broken bone in the base of my thumb and have extensive bruising on my back as I fell onto a machine.

I was in a class situation and tripped when trying to get around a machine in order to get more space.

The instructor took a quick look at my hand and sat me down while she carried on with the class. I was in a great deal of pain, but I got no medical attention. Apart from giving my name and address I played no part in filling in the accident book and was told (by her teenage daughter) the instructor would fill it in with my injuries later (although she could not have known my injuries).

Despite the other gym members' showing concern (unfortunately I don't know them), the instructor seemed determined to stay well way away from me - at which point I left.

Does anyone know whether there is any legal requirement for them to help me if I fall? And has anyone claimed for this kind of thing?

Hi Suki and welcome to CAG

It sounds like the class instructor (CI) wanted either to carry on with the class or to keep away from you. And, in today's Culture of Blame, you can understand why.

However, I would have expected the CI to call a trained First Aider to assess your condition.

1. Did you ask the CI for help or to call for an ambulance.

2. Was the gym made aware of the incident.

3. Was the CI a member of the gym staff or an independent instructor.

4. How did you leave the gym and get home.

5. When and where did you learn of the broken bone.

Does anyone know whether there is any legal requirement for them to help me if I fall?

The gym has a general duty of care for it's members.

And has anyone claimed for this kind of thing?

People claim for all sorts of things these days and I'm sure there are No Win, No Fee Lawyers who would be happy to try to blame the gym and get you compensation.

From what you've said, the gym is not responsible for your accident or injury.

They may have been negligent in failing to assess your condition and/or seek medical help for you if you needed or wanted it. But if you were able to leave the class and then leave the gym, staff may not have even have realised you were injured.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)