On BT unlimited call package being charged for not making calls.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I noticed today when about to pay for BT years advanced line rental

a clause saying a charge of £1.50 per month would be made if at least 2 calls werent made in a month.

It seems a very strange clause in a contract in which you can make as many calls as you like for free,

but dont make any and you are charged.

I wonder what Moron at BT thought that one up.

I actually noticed that I fell foul of this charge once last year.

Needless to say I havent paid for the upfront line rental and I am looking for another provider and made a complaint to BT about the stupidity of the clause.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

• 2 weeks later...

There may be a sound reason - just saying - eg, one could be that by making 2 calls per month, they would know the account was in use and had not been set up for any dodgy reason. It could also be something to do with how their software manages the accounts - so if it isn't used within a billing month, the account has to be manually adjusted??

Maybe Planta,it just seems strange that you can use phone 24/7 free but dont and you get charged .As reguards dodgy purpose I have been BT customer for 30+ years if owt dodgy I think they would know.However my phone was tapped during miners strike .

I too was with BT for nearly 40 years - and this year I moved.

Some of us are a bit slow on the uptake - LOL.

My best guess would be that if the account isn't used for a month by making a couple of calls, someone has to manually adjust something - hence the charge.

we just signed with BT for broadband - and the phone call package came with it, which we dont use as everyone has mobiles these days or premium rate numbers.

we were billed this £1.50 non-use charge on our first bill - and we contacted BT on FOUR occassions to be told that they would credit the charge this time but reminded us we had to make 2 calls each month (so we now call local pizza place and put phone down - CRAZY).

oh yes, they still didnt credit the £1.50.

complain... follow their complaints code, and do not accept "no" for an answer.

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/Complaints_code_of_practice.pdf

If costs BT much more than they'll make from these charges to have the complaint escalated to "Ombudsman Services: Communications", keep your complaint in writing and tell them you want them to refund the £1.50s you've paid, and to credit you for all the running around that you've had to do.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi ukrv (I cant understand the logic of it,unlimited call package but dont make calls and get charged it beggars belief,my problem is that I am away most of the time but it was costing me more to just p[ay the line rental and the occasional calls.I asked for the CEOs email but they didnt give it to me.

chairman: michael.rake@bt.com

Chief exec: ian.livingston@bt.com

Try both of them :p Read the code of practice that I posted, and follow that, be polite and use their 1st name. Tell them what you want as a solution.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

we also got charged for their 'free caller display' if you don't make those calls so check for any extra £4 charges as well

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi Locutus,

I have sent an email to the two execs you kindly gave the email addresses too.

The last emials I recieved from customer services said the low use charge was because I had caller display and 1571 provision.And to wait 7 days if still not satisfied.

So we will see what response i get from the two execs,I put in my email that it made no sense to be charged for not useing phone when you had unlimited use package and paid years line rental upfront.

Were you offered the caller display for free then charged for it? I think someone put the wrong thing on your order, as you get free "caller display" in the "privacy at home" package (which is free) or you can pay for caller display. You can guess which one the sales people get commission on, and how often the sales people tell you about the free one when they could charge you ;p

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

No caller display charges ,that was idainfife,s problem ,I was thinking more about this charge for not useing phone,There is no monetary loss to BT so it makes no sense as like many others if I wanted to call a mobile I would use free minutes on mobile phone.I am beginning think I could go down the unfair contract clause ,maybe complaint to Offcomm anf OFT.When I get a reply from execs at BT I will post here.

Latest from BT an Emma Franklin has responded to my email to Ian Livingston,she has telephoned my home unfortunatly I was in southern Ireland ,she has emailed me and asked for a phone number she can call me on.So we shall see what tommorrow brings.

Well had a conversation with Emma Franklin this morning and the charge is basicaly for people who use a BT line but dont use BT services.I pointed out that in my case I used both their services and their line so when I can use their services free why should I be charged extra for not useing them when I have already paid to use them.No joy anyway deadlock letter on the way from them and I will complain to the relevant regulators.Shame they couldnt have some common sense and see the stupidity of the clause.

The ombudsman are toothless qango who will say "it's in their t & c" in my opinion... My feelings would be take it to court for the payments x length of your term, say it's an unfair term and see what a judge says.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

We will have to see what happens ,I wonder wether to complain to Offcomm and OFT probably both.So now just waiting for the deadlock letter.,I was thinking of an analogy of what they are doing,and I supose its like having a season ticket for travel and if you dont travel enough times you get charged extra !It makes no sense at all and it surely has to be an unfair term and condition.